Power steering ram leaking.. need help on finding parts >

Power steering ram leaking.. need help on finding parts

Notices

Power steering ram leaking.. need help on finding parts

Old 05-18-2014, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering ram leaking.. need help on finding parts

So last year i noticed a small oil leak and found it by the power steering ram, tightened the lines and was hoping that was it, not so. After sitting all winter it leaked pretty good. The ram or "booster" is where i believe the leak is coming from. according to my manual and by looking at my PS setup i have the earlier "rebuildable" style power steering setup. after looking through the schematics online I'm finding the ram itself no longer available, AND the seal kit it lists is also showing NLA??? below is the pic of the ram i believe the oil is leaking from and the part #'s they list for it

So i have a few questions, first is this a common spot for a leak so that i can feel confidant i found the proper issue?
2nd, does someone make these seals anymore so i can repair this?
If the seals are no longer made what do i do now as the ram itself isnt available either? do i need to replace the ENTIRE power steering assy, if so how much $$$ is that and will it simply bolt in with no issues?

this is on a 1990 454MAG Bravo 1 setup.

thanks in advance!

57969A12 CYLINDER ASSEMBLY, Booster (25-58224A1 SEAL REPAIR KIT) This Part is No Longer Available $241.25

Old 05-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your best bet is to upgrade to the later style, not a big deal, will eliminate 2 lines and one part, not a bad deal, if your pressure and return lines are flair type you need to change as the new style takes O ring style, you can fine the newer ones on ebay etc, I changed my 89 over years ago, at this age the wear in the unit effect how the boat drives so the upgrade is a win win..
Old 05-18-2014, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
your best bet is to upgrade to the later style, not a big deal, will eliminate 2 lines and one part, not a bad deal, if your pressure and return lines are flair type you need to change as the new style takes O ring style, you can fine the newer ones on ebay etc, I changed my 89 over years ago, at this age the wear in the unit effect how the boat drives so the upgrade is a win win..
How do i know what "new" ones will direct bolt in as they are not listed on any of the fiches out there since my boat didnt come with it factory.

I believe my lines are flare setup going from memory of when the motor was out, i assume i need all new lines made then?
Old 05-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
How do i know what "new" ones will direct bolt in as they are not listed on any of the fiches out there since my boat didnt come with it factory.

I believe my lines are flare setup going from memory of when the motor was out, i assume i need all new lines made then?
Ayuh,.... There ain't much differences,....
'bout Any of the newer will bolt right in,...

Then ya change the lines,...
Hi-pressure gets a new line from the pump to the actuator, 'n the return line from the actuator to the P/S cooler,...
Old 05-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a nice actuator "new style" if interested pm me.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:57 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

most likely culprit is the 2 small lines labeled 2 and 3 in the parts breakdown. the hardest part of this job is getting the steering valve outta the boat. once out you will see the rotted lines. no longer avail, but u get 2 short copper brake lines and a tubing bender and make them up yourself. or surf ebay for real ones. yours is a Saginaw valve. the new type is the brazil valve. if u change to new valve, the low pressure side can be done with adapters. the high pressure will be best replacing with correct hose, or go see a hyd hose guy and he can make one up with correct fittings.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 AM
Registered

I already have it out of the boat, took about an hour, hardest part was getting the lock tab on the lower pivot bolt un-bent so i could loosen the nut. No rot on any of it, not sure where its leaking from but the bottom of that ram is all covered in oil and i had wiped it off the previous day so something on it is leaking and its not where the lines screw in from the pump as that was dry under them.

I'm going to replace the steering cable also since its 24 years old so i got that out also yesterday.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good priced quality cable to replace a Morse e300619 192" long cable i pulled out of the boat?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Registered

Cam,Mine was leaking out of rubber boot.Found a used one and installed.I have the steel lines if you need them.Scott
Old 05-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kingerf8
Cam,Mine was leaking out of rubber boot.Found a used one and installed.I have the steel lines if you need them.Scott
Scott from Manitou???

if so i see a new ride sitting in your driveway!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered

yep