Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How reliable / durable is the Merc 6.2? >

How reliable / durable is the Merc 6.2?

Notices

How reliable / durable is the Merc 6.2?

Old 05-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks SB. I have not had issues posting jpg.s in the past. I would be interested in your take on the above chart.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:14 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,131 Likes on 1,408 Posts

We all have our opinions, yet not many, if at all, have witnessed bearing failure from oil unless super thick oil at very low temperatures.

So....that said....

My opinion where I feel comfortable is 190's-250 max. Anything higher should be running synthetic while looking to reduce temps. 300F should be a stop and change something now.

Some say 180-190 won't burn of condensation and etc, I say BS. LOL. It will at that temp but obviously not as fast as higher temps.

Around here, other than mid/late summer, some of our boats from the area have the opposite issue (ie: too cool) if running crossovers and no t-stats. Good luck getting your oil warm enough to even plain off. You should see the oil from these engines. Yuk !!!!!

We had 36" ice this winter.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wes

PM sent. I'm calling the seller this evening and seriously considering an offer. It looks like the 6.2 is a good motor for my application. Cruising and swimming with the occasion fast run.

Last edited by greg800le; 05-25-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks SB. I value your opinion.

Greg,

Sounds like you will be happy with the 6.2s - good cruising fuel GPH and probably up to 70 m.p.h. top end.
If you need more speed you might want to look for a different power package as the 6.2 is a pretty coordinated engine,
meaning you pretty much need to do head work, different intake and TB change, cam, and computer tune if you want more power.
Seems there is no one step magic beyond labbed props.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Just make sure you have the updated fuel coolers, mine were taking on minerals from the raw water and were being sent in to the injectors from the cool fuel unit. It didn't end well.