Replacing 502 with 496s

Notices

Replacing 502 with 496s

Old 06-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing 502 with 496s

Hey guys,

Changing my old 502s for 496s that i got a great deal on. I wanted to ask a few questions and hopefully somebody with experience would be able to help on this one. Will the 496 need new engine mounts or can i use my exisiting ones from the 502s. Will the bell housing and the drive shaft from my bravos line up alright. the motors dont have smartcraft and they come in a plug and play configuration, is there any chance ill have to do wiring modifications.

boats a 32 fountain fever.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Registered

The motor mounts and bell housing are the same on the 496 and 502. The bravo should line up the same also, but If your changing I would highly recommend having an alignment tool and probably change the gimbal bearing while your at it, unless it has been changed recently. Installing a drive if the bearing gets moved during disassembly can be very frustrating, and it will need aligned when changing motors anyways. There may be a little bit of changes with wiring depending on the variation/generation between motors, but if they are both PNP with wiring and ECU's, there shouldn't be much.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure how much room you have, but the exhaust manifolds don't line up exactly as with a 502. I went the other direction, 496 to 502 and had to move the holes in my transom a little to get it to line up correctly. Not much maybe a inch at the most. If you have enough room , you can bend the hose connecting the header to the exhaust tip. This is also a good time to put on new engine couplers as the old ones are probably pretty worn. Don't think you will have any major issues wiring it up.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:07 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you going to do with the worn out 502's?
Originally Posted by intimid8
Hey guys,

Changing my old 502s for 496s that i got a great deal on. I wanted to ask a few questions and hopefully somebody with experience would be able to help on this one. Will the 496 need new engine mounts or can i use my exisiting ones from the 502s. Will the bell housing and the drive shaft from my bravos line up alright. the motors dont have smartcraft and they come in a plug and play configuration, is there any chance ill have to do wiring modifications.

boats a 32 fountain fever.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by motor
What are you going to do with the worn out 502's?
i was thinking the same thing. where are you located?
Old 06-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Registered

Sell em for scarp. 20 years of harsh saltwater use...rebuilt twice. I don't think anybody wants them..
Old 06-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

heads are scrap. blocks may be usable. where are you?