Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Valve cover removal with exhaust on? >

Valve cover removal with exhaust on?

Notices

Valve cover removal with exhaust on?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valve cover removal with exhaust on?

I need to replace a valve cover gasket on one motor, anyone ever tried to remove a valve cover without taking the manifold off. It has stainless marine exhaust on it. Looks like it may work with a 1/4 drive universal socket just not sure if the cover will clear the rockers. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I've managed to remove the valve cover without pulling the exhaust, BUT you need to loosen the manifold and remove the riser. I would remove all the bolts except the first and last. This allows you to pull the exhaust away from the engine, and makes installation way easier as everything is still lined up. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I've managed to remove the valve cover without pulling the exhaust, BUT you need to loosen the manifold and remove the riser. I would remove all the bolts except the first and last. This allows you to pull the exhaust away from the engine, and makes installation way easier as everything is still lined up. Good luck!
I put 4" long bolts in end holes of manifold, if needed us Mr.Gasket gasket w/ sloted end holes Ken
Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered

I have removed the valve covers on my 502's with stainless marine exhaust without loosening the manifold bolts. As stated , with a 1/4" drive u joint and extension. My covers have allen heads tho , not sure if it would clear with hex head bolts.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Depends on what heads and what valve covers. I've gotten at some and others no way
Old 06-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock 088's and stock valve covers. I'm gonna try it. If everyone said fook no I wasn't going to waist time trying.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Better to just pull exhaust man.TONS of room then to get the job done right......
Old 06-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by indysupra
Stock 088's and stock valve covers. I'm gonna try it. If everyone said fook no I wasn't going to waist time trying.
You should be able to do it then. 1/4" long extension and univ wobble.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Swapped most of my valve cover bolts over to allen head bolts, I to have SM exhaust, the allens let you use the ball socket style drivers. That seams to be a little better than playing with a socket on a wobble. I put the bottom bolts in first (valve cover side) and get them snugged then the top ones, that will get the bottom of the valve cover tighter.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by big jing 2
I put 4" long bolts in end holes of manifold, if needed us Mr.Gasket gasket w/ sloted end holes Ken
IMO, this is the best method and the way we do it. Works great.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.