Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
900 low oil pressure and cold filter after oil change??? >

900 low oil pressure and cold filter after oil change???

Notices

900 low oil pressure and cold filter after oil change???

Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't run the boat very hard. Very few wide open pulls, but I don't think it's building much heat at all. I remember the starboard motor was always up in the good heat range and then I would look over at the port gauge and it always reads much lower. I will have to pay more attention the next time we are out. Any way to test the sender and gauge??
Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i would agree that the oil t stat is probibally stuck open.should be an easy fix.im glad you dodged the bullet with the filter.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rob vanharten
I don't run the boat very hard. Very few wide open pulls, but I don't think it's building much heat at all. I remember the starboard motor was always up in the good heat range and then I would look over at the port gauge and it always reads much lower. I will have to pay more attention the next time we are out. Any way to test the sender and gauge??
Rob get a infrared temp gun. Go for a run, take note of the gauge readings at the dash. Shoot the filters for temp, and the pans. See what you get.

As far as the fuel consumption goes, 15-20% seems like a lot. I know you talked about putting a wideband on it to check AFR's last time we talked last year. If you haven't done so, I recommend doing it asap. I recall when I went thru your carbs, imo it had Dangerously small jets for a blown 598 making 900+hp. I didn't wanna see ya melt it down for that fun run, so I stepped it up quite a bit for ya. My guess is you're rich, and could probably lean it down some. Plus, the wideband will get ya an idea on why one might be consuming more fuel. I've seen those old SSM props measure off quite a bit in pitch from each other, that can be an issue too. I doubt the oil temp is causing the fuel consumption issue, but you wanna make sure they are both getting warmed up oil temp wise. Good luck buddy.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Rob get a infrared temp gun. Go for a run, take note of the gauge readings at the dash. Shoot the filters for temp, and the pans. See what you get.

As far as the fuel consumption goes, 15-20% seems like a lot. I know you talked about putting a wideband on it to check AFR's last time we talked last year. If you haven't done so, I recommend doing it asap. I recall when I went thru your carbs, imo it had Dangerously small jets for a blown 598 making 900+hp. I didn't wanna see ya melt it down for that fun run, so I stepped it up quite a bit for ya. My guess is you're rich, and could probably lean it down some. Plus, the wideband will get ya an idea on why one might be consuming more fuel. I've seen those old SSM props measure off quite a bit in pitch from each other, that can be an issue too. I doubt the oil temp is causing the fuel consumption issue, but you wanna make sure they are both getting warmed up oil temp wise. Good luck buddy.
Thanks bud, I do have a temp gun and will bring it with this weekend. Also will will be using my wide band gauge. I think this motor has been running cold since I bought it. I believe it may be the oil t stat. I am now trying to find out we're exactly the stat is located. My setup uses a remote filter pad to a plate cooler to a remote filter head. It must be located in the filter head.... Trying to find how I service the t-stat. And which one to buy... I still need to swap the top blower pulley on the port motor as it is two teeth smaller and makes two pound more boost. Thinking this is my fuel consumption issue.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Registered

Also props are much newer 5 blade mercury racing cnc props. So I feel they are probably decently close to the same?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Registered

I can see the blower pulley thing helping the fuel consumption issue. CNC props then prolly ok. Your oil stat should be in the remote filter housing. Can you post a pic of what kind you got? The mercury ones you can get the thermostat from any merc dealer. If you have the big hardin marine style ones you'll prob have to call them and see if they sell replacements for them. Im sure they do
Old 06-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Registered

I will post a pic tomorrow. It looks like mercury to me but its round rather than square like a lot of the Mercs.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Registered

Do you recall the filters they take? Like are they the big fat HP6 style mega filters, or the smaller typical thread chevy filters that are just long (2qt style)
Old 06-11-2014, 01:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would try and find some oil filters that use a synthetic filter element instead of paper elements. With low oil temps you will get some condensation in the oil. The paper elements will swell with moisture and restrict oil flow. The synthetic will not. I know Mobil 1 filters are synthetic and I think K&N have synthetic elements.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:14 AM
Registered

I remember when I brought my Chevelles' engine home from the dyno, I put it in the car and changed the oil. It would go to 70psi then steady drop. If I let it go it looked like it would've dropped to 0.
Those were Purolator filters, swapped the filter out and all was good, then I celebrated!
I use Amsoil filters now. Glad that was your issue and not something worse!

Last edited by CC230; 06-11-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.