Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New engine ready to fire but WONT! Expierenced techs Please Help!!! >

New engine ready to fire but WONT! Expierenced techs Please Help!!!

Notices

New engine ready to fire but WONT! Expierenced techs Please Help!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it does have a dash circuit breaker, and one under the rear seat, and they are all good. I don't think nothing was altered as far as the safety switch at the lanyard, it appears to be 100% factory. I never touched anything from the ignition switch to the engine compartment, so it's just hard to think that it's somewhere in there, and not me hooking up something wrong, but I was pretty anal about labeling everything...
Old 06-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Registered

1) Red and purple wire at ign switch should be live all the time. If not, it is powered by the red wire that goes from the starter to the circuit breaker on the starboard exhaust manifold/head area..
2) Yellow and red wire from dash energizes the starter slave solenoid, which in turn sends current to starter through that yellow and red wire..
3) The yellow and red wire starts at the "crank terminal" of the ign switch, continues to the neutral safety, and then terminal 7 of the main engine wiring harness..
Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Registered

I wasn't sure if there was a circuit breaker there for the starter...
Old 06-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quickest way to eliminate or rule in the wire and switch is to get a length of wire an go straight from the switch to the solenoid. If that works then you know the switch is good, and it's either a broken wire or a bad neutral safety switch. Put a jumper in place of the neutral safety switch to eliminate that. It's as simple as that - process of elimination. You'll get it!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Registered

I'll try that add soon as I get a break here at my shop. Where is the neutral safety switch located usually? On the power wire or is it built into the shifter?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm going off memory here, but doesn't the neutral safety switch make the ground side of the remote solenoid. If the yellow - red stripe wire has no power at the solenoid its a different problem.

Check your connections through the 9 pin merc cannon plug.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Registered

I'm going off memory here, but doesn't the neutral safety switch make the ground side of the remote solenoid. If the yellow - red stripe wire has no power at the solenoid its a different problem.

The yellow/red wire is only energized during cranking. The starter slave solenoid is grounded by the black wire.
That would activate that solenoid... On the other side of that slave solenoid is a red/purple wire(always live) and a yellow/red wire that goes to starter. Live when slave solenoid is activated...
Old 06-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Registered

I just hopped up there on lunch and the some di-electric grease in the 9-pin connector and BAM! cranks away! Thank you so much guys, some times all it takes is stepping back and having someone say "hey dumbass check the plug!" Lmao I'm so pumped to start this thing tonight!
Old 06-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Registered

Now all I got to do is figure out why the trim won't go all the way down and only goes up with the trailor switch and I'll be ready! Lol
Old 06-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgearhead454
Now all I got to do is figure out why the trim won't go all the way down and only goes up with the trailor switch and I'll be ready! Lol
There might be a problem with the trim limit switch. Black double wire coming from the transom assembly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.