Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
383 overheating on muffs after r&r of heads... >

383 overheating on muffs after r&r of heads...

Notices

383 overheating on muffs after r&r of heads...

Old 08-22-2002, 12:50 PM
shinsr

Question

This may sound too simple, but just got a new 292 with 377 Scorpions and found I was not getting enough water flow through the traditional muffs. I bought a new high performance muff where the water flows directly to boths sides of the drive and now get excellent water flow and stay cool, I run with engine already at running temp and get no increase in temp.

Old 08-22-2002, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Well, went out and ran it again, this time with lots of pressure. Still overheated. There's a blockage somewhere I'm guessing. Errrr....
Old 08-22-2002, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Another thing that was interesting...

I was adjusting the valves with the engine running and found that the number three exhaust rocker was sprouting oil like a fountain. All of the other oilers from the rest of the rockers were trickling liek they're supposed to. Anyone seen this before?

I guess i'll be trying to flush the risers out tomorrow. I probably have some stuff caught in there from debris that fell into the cooling passages when cleaning the deck surfaces. I'll probably have to take the risers off as well which is going to suck.

If no one could tell... I'm getting rather ticked off about messing with this thing all the time and not beign out on the water.
Old 08-23-2002, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomz,

My boat doesn't like the hose. I went full closed cooling and i run as little as possible on the hose. I am tired of sucking hoses closed and I think I do more damage to my raw water pump on a hose than benefit to my engine.

When I test my boat I go to the lake on a weekday morning like monday or tuesday when no one is around. I would try putting your boat into the water on the trailer for a test before you tear down your engine.

Good Luck
Old 08-23-2002, 05:58 PM
Registered

TomZ sorry you are having troubles.I to just posted on an outher thread and had said to the effect that I was thinking of useing an epoxey but not paint but the west system epoxy and use it like a slushing compound in the inside of the water passage.Hope you get it figured.As for me I should be fireing the new motor up this weekend.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:48 AM
21_senza_383_2

Were you able to make any progress on this prior to the cold weather? I had posted on a similar issue with mine, running about the same temps on a new 383 stroker. Didn't get it resolved prior to winterizing, but did get a response write up in Hot Boat (Thanks to whoever picked the thread up from here!). HB Tech Editor suggested instrumenting with Water Pressure and Oil Temperature gauges to narrow down issues.

I'll be back at it in another month to find whatever (blockage, lack of flow at drive pump, etc.)-

...Still Searchin'

Old 03-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think it ended up being a water pressure issue while on the muffs. I went out and ran the snot out of her with no problems.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Are you on the water already? I'm jealous There is still at least a foot or two of ice here in Michigan. It sounds like you had the same problem that I did a few years. Glad the problem is solved. Watch out for icebergs.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Macdad,
The cold hard water will leave us soon!!! I Hope!!
Old 03-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It still runs warm on the muffs... I think something was wrong with my hose at the time. It runs fine in the water though... not a touch over 160*.

It is absolutely beautiful in Virginia Beach right now.... we even have the AC on in our office!

Last week I was shoveling snow in Arlington. It's 70* outside right now... this is the life!

I have more plans for the boat this season... Sportsman II heads, better exhaust, ignition upgrades, etc. It's going to be a great season!

Later!

Quick Reply: 383 overheating on muffs after r&r of heads...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.