Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Shop Labor times to Pull a motor >

Shop Labor times to Pull a motor

Notices

Shop Labor times to Pull a motor

Old 06-25-2014, 05:10 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

You obviously haven't tried taking a hatch off a cigarette. 4 people minimum.
I usually just disconnect the lift ram and lean it back, tied off to a clear and leaning against a ladder.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:11 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all easy if it was done last week .Shops have to deal with engines that haven't been out in years. Sometimes 1 mounting bolt or 1 steering hose can fight back,. I'd rather be told the 9 hour number and it not go up ,than quoted a lower number that does go up. What is the labor rate on the estimated 9 hrs.
To make money a shop needs to charge for the time moving your crap around, and the mechanics times from "tools out until tools wiped and put up".
As far as ajfisher and the 5 minute hatch ...You're right some hatches take 5 min or less...some hatches take far more,even with a couple of capable people and a lift
Old 06-25-2014, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow. You guys should all be boat mechanics! None of you ever had a stripped bolt, stuck part that wont come loose, etc that should only take 5 minutes to remove, but turns into an hour to remove?

I think 8 hours is very fair labor to do this job at a professional shop. Lets see, get boat setup in shop under hoist, remove hatch, remove drive, de-rig the harnesses, fuel lines, water lines, exhaust tails, etc, hoist engine out, swap coupler, reinstall engine, align, reassemble electrical stuff, mounts, reinstall drive, install hatch, etc. IMO, if i was a tech at a shop, I would consider this pretty much a full day's job. Def not something I would start on at 8am and have done by 11:30am ready for the customer to pick up.

Im sure it can be done in that time if you want a guy slamming thru it, and slapping it together. If a shop is charging 100 per hour labor, and can do this job in 3 hours, WTF am i doing working on my own $hit. I would gladly pay a shop 300 bucks to remove, and install one of my engines to say, swap a trans, or something like that. A 1999 38 Top Gun is a nice boat. I'd be more concerned with the quality of work, and a shop that isnt gonna toss greasy wrenches on the back seat, scratch the paint dragging air hoses and cords over everything, and generally rush the job out the door.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Those 7/16 stainless bolts in the offshore mounts on my Formula LOVE to gall and bind/break on removal. That can add an easy 45 minutes to an hour to the job. The labor quote seems fair and what I would expect to pay for a job like that if I didn't do it myself.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to add to this mess..you dont really have to remove the engine from the boat..if theirs room i will spin the engine in the hull to access the coupler..r&r it and reinstall the engine..that 's if its a bravo set up which i assume by him saying coupler..
Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I think engine R&R stories on the "internets" are about as believable as fuel mileage stories.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not complaining about the time. I was just asking if it was reasonable as I do not know how to remove the engine. Just making sure I wasn't getting gouged. I am having them do the repairs now. Like Mild Thunder says, Im more concerned that they do it right and not scratch or get grease on my Brand new paint and interior that has never been used yet. Maybe asking them for an hour of 1.5 off since the drive removal was already charged on another labor event which is how they found the coupler issue?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I wouldn't start cheaping on them. What is that money in the overall scheme of things...Not a lot out of your pocket .. Keep the shop happy and they will keep you happy...M.O.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

For those that can do it yourself, your labor times mean nothing. " I can do it in 3 hrs tops, that shop is a ripoff" Rarely does a DIY'r account for getting ready for the job (tools, moving boat, covering interior) and clean up after the job. This one may take 2 of the 9hrs quoted, the next make take 15 of the 9 hrs quoted.

That 9hrs does not sound out of wack for a professional job that HAS to be done right, because come backs will eat all the profit.

A professional business with real bills to pay should never be compared to back yard mechanic prices......never.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All im saying is you cant count on a bolt stripping and it turning into an hour, and if you are in the business you would most likely have an idea of what it takes and tricks for that model. I guess it depends on what the shop is charging you money wise, 9 hrs at $100hr? Hell no. $400-500 altogether then sure

When I had my 290, I paid our marina $800 to pull my motor amd do the coupler which included the coupler and is a much tighter job than a top gun is... you can summersault in those engine bays!

Last edited by AJ POWERPLAY; 06-25-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.