New Mallory Ignition, no spark >

New Mallory Ignition, no spark

Notices

New Mallory Ignition, no spark

Old 06-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mallory Ignition, no spark

I replaced my stock distributor, coil and plug wires on my '99 5.0L with a Mallory 8160m distributor, Mallory 8207m coil and MSD 8.5 plug wires. I removed the wires from the old coil and installed them on the new coil along with the black wire and orange wire from the new Mallory connector. Black wire to - and orange to + side. I connected the old white/green wire (hot when key on) that connected to the original distributor to the red wire on the new Mallory connector. I left the original white/red wire that connected to the original distributor connected to nothing. I have 12v with the key on to the hot side of the coil and 12v with the key on to the red wire going to the distributor. Crank it over and no spark on the coil wire and obviously spark plugs. What am I missing? The boat stared fine before changing distributor.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:36 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Is the 8160m ready to run or does it require an ignition box.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Registered

Yes, it is a ready to run.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Registered

Sorry, just looked up install instructions online and it states: Red wire to coil + Orange to coil - and black to ground. Looks like I've got some wires to change in the morning. I'll post an update after changing the wires around but I'm sure it will work when connected correctly.
Is it going to cause any issues not having anything connected from the module that was connected to the original distributor? The white/green and white/red wires.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

The white with green is not the power to the distributor. It is one of the wires from the ignition pickup to the module . The purple wire is key on voltage.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, it's amazing what happens when it's hooked up right. I don't know why the connection instructions weren't included with the dizzy.
I left the white/green and white/red disconnected from the module.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Just curious, any reason you ditched the stock setup on a stock 5.0L engine for MSD stuff?
Old 06-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Just curious, any reason you ditched the stock setup on a stock 5.0L engine for MSD stuff?
Not a specific reason. I've had the boat a couple years and late last year noticed a crack in the stock 2bbl so I done a 4bbl conversion with a an Edelbrock 1409 and performer intake. The boat already had Vortec heads. After taking it out after the 4bbl conversion I still had a problem with dieseling when shutting it off. Had the same problem with the 2bbl. Figured it wasn't a carb problem after making the switch and playing with timing, so I desided to upgrade the ignition system. The Mallory got better feedback than MSD and I didn't have brand loyalty so tired it out. I haven't had the boat out since the change but will have it out for the 4th and hope all is well.
Just an FYI, I leave the blowers on the whole time we are out to suck as much heat as possible out of the engine box and my water temp runs between 170-180 degrees. I've also always had a problem with the idle creeping up as we are out doing water sports and the 4bbl done the same thing.