Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
502 Catastrophic Failure!!! Why does this happen? >

502 Catastrophic Failure!!! Why does this happen?

Notices

502 Catastrophic Failure!!! Why does this happen?

Old 07-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
I would like to see what the main brgs look like, if it was indeed an oiling issue the mains would show the lack of oil to some extent, and if they look decent then we can lean towards detonation. But lets not rule out rod bolt failure, leading to oil loss at the rods in question, then the snowball effect at 4900 RPM, then the inevitable. Forensic engine CSI can lead us down many paths, I know that if I was running at 4900 RPM with the design of my boat the wind over my ears, I would not hear a rod knocking till the engine quit(blew up) So this motor had to make some noise before it blew!
the blue crank says it all, lubrication failed first...
Old 07-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
the blue crank says it all, lubrication failed first...
While it's hard to dispute that the hydrodynamic film broke down, I think it's a jump to say that the cause is the lubrication system. This failure could very well have been caused by overpressurization of the chamber (due to detonation or otherwise) leading to extrusion of the bearing material or fatigue and spalling of the same. If the bearings are compromised, the presence of lubrication oil is no longer sufficient to keep the asperities separated, which can lead to heat-bluing as we see here.

So, the hydrodynamic film failed... but what was the root cause? How do the other bearings look (as asked before)?
Old 07-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

I agree with Nauti.. Crank jounal for #1&2 7&8 seem to be ok (from what I can see), So It seems the Oiling system was still working, I'm not a professioal engine builder but if I was to guess, the oil film was compromised by detonation or rod bolt stretch/failure/fatique Just what I can see from the pictures the brg material does not appear to be paper thin, and the big end of the rods in pic #4 are not dark blue. I don't know?

Last edited by abones; 07-09-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look at the rod laying in the pan, blue as well, as far as other bearings, not going to tell much as metal was flowing everywhere at that point, if was a rod bolt failure( and have had those) does not blue up parts, just cuts loose quickly, and if it detonated so bad as to kill the oil, the tops of the pistons would be killed, only damage I see is from the pistons hitting the head from the bearings being spun and continued to run, this thing had to have been struggling for a while before just gave up...
Old 07-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

I'm with Nauti and abones, like from the beginning. The mains will tell the tale but I'll bet detonation killed this motor.

Last edited by payuppsucker; 07-09-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
I would like to see what the main brgs look like, if it was indeed an oiling issue the mains would show the lack of oil to some extent, and if they look decent then we can lean towards detonation. But lets not rule out rod bolt failure, leading to oil loss at the rods in question, then the snowball effect at 4900 RPM, then the inevitable. Forensic engine CSI can lead us down many paths, I know that if I was running at 4900 RPM with the design of my boat the wind over my ears, I would not hear a rod knocking till the engine quit(blew up) So this motor had to make some noise before it blew!
I didn't hear a thing when I did almost this exact same thing to one of my motors two years ago. I noticed a little loss in speed, looked down and saw OP falling, chopped the throttles and turned to look behind me, saw a big ball of blue smoke. Too much timing, not enough gas, boat had been running out west at high altitude and was tuned for such. Worked good for 5500' ASL, not so well for 250"ASL

Last edited by payuppsucker; 07-09-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought I would post a couple of pic's of a piston that was removed because of Detonation and a broken ring landing. Both engines ran fine, perfect oil pressure but had a lot of blow by. Notice scratching on the skirts of the pistons when they rock back and forth. Even if the piston kissed the head they will still have scratch marks in the bores and side of pistons.. I ran these engines lean, mis calculation on my primary jetting. These engines had over 100 hours on them. Brand new 502's....
Attached Thumbnails 502 Catastrophic Failure!!! Why does this happen?-p7090498.jpg   502 Catastrophic Failure!!! Why does this happen?-p7090499.jpg  

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 07-10-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budman ii
looking at the fact that it has the small automotive type oil pan installed and was likely not properly marinized, i have to also wonder if the 11 lb oil bypass valve was being run in it, which very likely resulted in hot dirty oil being routed to the bearings.
bingo!!!!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Auto engines are typically built with tighter tolerances that can hold high RPMs for a short time, but not so much on long extended runs at the rev limiter.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
I see a spin on oil filter which means to me no oil cooler at all. I suspect sky high oil temps causing bearings to be destroyed leading to pistons hitting the heads and broken rods exiting the side of the pan.
Block adapter and oil cooler were removed during tear down. I just spun a filter on to keep it from dripping on the driveway while taking the rest apart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.