Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Motor Shut Down Filter/Pump/Other >

Motor Shut Down Filter/Pump/Other

Notices

Motor Shut Down Filter/Pump/Other

Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked for the collapsed fuel line and nothing to the touch, however, their might be something internal. I was also thinking electrical, but I see nothing at the key on the dash or on the motor. I was also thinking possible vapor lock. The fuel line is pulling heat off of something during running?
Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Registered

If it was electrical what would I look for. The key switch is new and all wiring (plugs, distributor, coil) new. I agree it sounds electrical to me because of how the motor just cuts down like the throttle was moved to neutral, however, the motor more times than not will stay running which makes me feel it is fuel related. If the fuel water filter was full of water would this stop the flow of fuel to the carb?
Old 07-15-2014, 09:41 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

If the carb ran out of fuel, it would not refire instantly. It takes a few for the fuel water sperator to fill and then fill the vcarburetor.

If it starts instantly, your carb bowls are full of fuel.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:47 AM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
.really sounds electrical.
x 4.

Module or coil or a 45 minute timer wired in. LOL.

Somewhere around 45 minutes each time is a mega rare chance of fuel issue. Unless idle for 44 minutes folowed by 1 minute of WOT. LOL.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

If it doesnt show any signs of stumbling or poor performance until it quits or slows down,it's most likely the module.Usually,once the module gets hot, the problem will occur at much shorter intervals than the initial shutdown of the day. Are you trying to restart or get back on plane without opening the hatch? I've had a small exhaust leak build enough CO to choke out one of my 502's.My captain would lift the hatch to check things out (giving it fresh air) ,see nothing wrong, and drive for 20 min before it would do it again. We would test it with the hatch up and never have a problem. Finally found leak at back side of Y-Pipe. Never had any smoke in eng compartment but enough CO to affect it.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Registered

I guess I can try another new coil. Is there anything inside the disributor which would cause this. I change the cap and rotor every year. Everything else has looked good besides some minor surface rust. Advance moves freely otherwise there is a magnetic pickup which should be fine. I am stumped.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Registered

I have tried to get back on plane without opening the hatch and it will stumble and not get up to RPM. I then shut the boat down and dumped the fuel water filter and off we go again like nothing happened. I will check for an exhaust leak. I have double awab straps on each connection and have never seen water leaking so I assume no leak but I could be wrong. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

First, get a new fuel water sep filter. When it happens again, dump it into a mason jar and see if it separates. Fuel will float on top.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Registered

I will be out this weekend and will do so. I have pumped some fuel out of the tank after the boat has sit still on the trailer and there is some water so I am sure the filter will show the same.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:57 AM
SB
Registered

Uh oh.

Sounds like you should remove the fuel sender and and make sure the trailer is slightly tiled back so you can use a remote pump and pull it all out. Remember, the pick up tube is not going to access all the fuel/water that is in there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.