Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slimy Grimy here!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Star brite Hull Cleaner from West Marine. I use a rubber glove and put a little on a sponge, wipe it on the yellow/brown spots. Leave it on 1-2 minutes and rise with a hose. Takes the discoloration right off.
I'm on the same 32 ounce bottle for a 3rd season (29' boat). $21.95
Old 07-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
All I know is in my experience my boats stay pretty clean the first couple seasons then the staining/deposits appear. After the initial cleaning with acid I then have to clean the hull at least twice a year. So the acid does something to the gel.

Along with the sun
Old 07-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just tried something this weekend and it seemed to work pretty damn good.

Mothers Foaming Tire and Wheel cleaner works really good for removing exhaust soot/dirt/ etc from the transom. Just spray it on, it foams up, use a brush to scrub it around and then hose it off.

Just wanted to throw that out there
Old 07-14-2014, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of GREAT info.

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Yes, once you apply something like Works to your hull you will be cleaning it more and more often as the staining reappears quicker. Not sure if it removes some of the oils in the gel or makes it more porous or both. The freshwater lake I boat on is a nuclear power plant cooling lake. A buddy of mine that slips his boat next to me has worked at the plant and says they put something in the water to help lubricate the seals for the cooling water pumps and he thinks that exasperates our hard water/staining problems.

This is like what I observed. My brother would slimey grimey his boats white bottom about every week. I used it once a year. After a while his bottom was dirtier after a weekend of boating, like the over cleaning opened the pours in the gel coat and it absorbed more of the mud stain from the river.

So now I bought an 03 Sunny, white bottom and it does the same as my brothers boat did after what I think of as over use of slimey grimey. My boat has a brown stain after one day in the water. Guessing it is due to how the previous owner(s) cleaned the boat. I don't want to make it worse by using overly porous type of cleaners but once the problem like this appears you either clean it or have a dirty bottom. Dirty bottoms bug the crap out of me.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I clean mine with a 5foot 3 skinny redhead. Seems to work pretty good! Sometimes it has to go back and clean missed spots but all in all it works pretty good! Smells great also... Heehee
Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Anyone ever notice these Acids are sold in a plastic jug? Yes they sit for years on a shelf in plastic. Sure, keep it away from metal. But I have a hard time believing it causes damage to gel.
I agree. It will strip all the wax so your boat will stain easier. If I washed and waxed my boat after using toilet bowl cleaner it would stay clean for a long time.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boat stays in the Lake all year. When I take it out there is a dark brown stain. Tried Power one for the first time. Poured on a towel and wiped it on. After a minute rinsed off. Could not believe how clean and shiny it comes out.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Along with the sun
The Works and similar acid based cleaners strip the wax along with the stain. Next time re-wax after cleaning and see the improvement.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

for lighter stains i use a product called rolloff,i buy it by the gallon from west marine.apply it on a sponge,clean just like as if it was soapy water,wait one minute and rinse,walla-good as new.for heavy stains i use the works but don,t get it on you as it will burn your skin,rub it on with a soft brush and rinse after one minute.this has worked for me for a lot of years.