Small water leak on a XR Drive >

Small water leak on a XR Drive

Notices

Small water leak on a XR Drive

Old 07-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Small water leak on a XR Drive

Hey guys I have a small leak that I have pin pointed to the transom area. Thanks to my Go Pro , next step I will mount Go Pro back there. But any of you have any idea? Does not leak when sitting or going super fast. Just rolling a slow 50ish with the right trim and turn angle you could see the water just roll in under the motor on the go pro. I looked real good at all the boots could not see any problems, sounds like those to me..... any ideas???
Thank you Skydog
Old 07-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Speedometer pitot tube maybe?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Speedometer pitot tube maybe?
MMMM May be thank you did not see where that's at?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

While on the trailer, trim your drive all the way up. There is a little yellow "T" shaped thing that plugs in under your gimble helmet, outside the boat, into the top of the drive. This pulls water from the drive and would send it to your old fashioned water pressure speedometer if you had one. The piece of tube that's coming from your drive through the transom may just be dangling somewhere. If it's plugged into your drive, yank it out, pinch it, and zip-tie it up under the gimble. That could be your issue..
Old 07-21-2014, 01:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

To check the u joint bellows it is wise to pull the drive off and check them from the inside out for a small tear. As you trim up and turn steering the tear opens more compared with the drive trimmed down allowing water to trickle in whether running or not. Example of this is just like an accordion how it works as if it had a small tear in its bellows. When closed the tear is somewhat closed sealed and when stretched the small tear will open up.

Another test with the drive off you can pour a cup or 2 of water inside the bellows (keep gimbal bearing dry) and lift up on your bell housing by hand to stretch the u-joint bellows out to see if the water will drain out from the there.

Also possible tear in shift cable bellows just the same example from the U-joint bellows. Best thing to do is figure out if it only happens while running. You can sit at the boat ramp but need to be deep enough in the water with motor off and take inspection mirrors to have a closer look and listen for water running into bilge area. Have someone trim the drive up and down and turn the steering full left and right. If you take on water only running then its not your bellows leaking or rotted transom or bad transom seal.

Last edited by BUP; 07-21-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If you have GPS speedo then you will not have the water pressure style speedo. Just trying to help to figure this out. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Registered

Ty guys for all the help I will let u guys know what it is soon!! :-) :-)
Old 08-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Registered

Got it!! Thanks to a Go Pro. First leak is around the tail pipes and the other is where the cable for the trim gauge goes threw transom. There was a cover over the cable I took off and zero sealer...... nuts some people.... To top it off the cover over the cable was acting like a funnel to direct the water right up threw the hole in to bilge.

Ty guys