Notices

Measuring Compression Ratio

Old 07-31-2014, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hallj
Yes,

http://store.katechengines.com/whist...ster-p174.aspx

You'll have to find a local shop that has one.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff,

That is exactly what I was thinking of, But definitely a lot cheaper to just disassemble motor etc lol. Figured in today's day and age they had to have some technology for measuring the ratio. But like you said I'm sure some high end machine shops have them.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are many shops that build spec engines. This is what the sanctioning body uses to check compression.
The engine builder will use it to make sure it passes before it goes to the customer.

If you pay 25,000 for an engine and inspection time comes around after the race, it better be right otherwise the engine builder will look pretty stupid.

Jeff
Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

a engine builder can figure the compression ratio useing simple math and should not need this peice of equipment imo.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
a engine builder can figure the compression ratio useing simple math and should not need this peice of equipment imo.
Nobody needs it. If the tech inspectors are using it, it makes sense that you use it as well for that added security.

Jeff
Old 07-31-2014, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hallj
Nobody needs it. If the tech inspectors are using it, it makes sense that you use it as well for that added security.

Jeff
i called 6 shops in the chicago area and none of them had one.that makes me think they are not vrey commonly used,atleast not in my area.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm curious how it works. Okay so you can calibrate it with a provided jug of known volume, but what does this have to do with compression ratio? So an engine exhausts a certain amount of air on the exhaust stroke, ok well if there is no valve overlap and none goes out the intake, it all goes out the exhaust and the volume can be measured, so that times the number of cylinders is the engine displacement. So how does it figure compression ratio? I'm not questioning that it works, just how it works?
Old 07-31-2014, 02:01 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Look for big names in area that build heavily restricted 2bbl engines. If none look for Crate Engine / Spec engine builders. Like the Chevy 604 and 602's.

Back in my day (few eons ago) just track inspectors had them.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:03 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
I'm curious how it works. Okay so you can calibrate it with a provided jug of known volume, but what does this have to do with compression ratio? So an engine exhausts a certain amount of air on the exhaust stroke, ok well if there is no valve overlap and none goes out the intake, it all goes out the exhaust and the volume can be measured, so that times the number of cylinders is the engine displacement. So how does it figure compression ratio? I'm not questioning that it works, just how it works?
Quote from the link given on 1st page of this thread:
Using the WHISTLER is easy, just remove a spark plug and screw the WHISTLER adapter in its place. Enter the number of cylinders, CID, and temperature of the engine into the WHISTLER. Then, bring the engine to TDC and the unit will display the compression ratio to the nearest tenth of a point.

All you need is a low volume air source and a 120V AC supply
Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Registered

there are a couple builders in indiana that do a lot of stock car engines,maybe they have one.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
i believe if you take the rocker arms off and then put engine on tdc you get a measurement,then put the engine on bdc,then take another measurement,the difference would be the compression ratio.i dont know this for a fact because i have never seen one of these .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.