502 Mag Mpi Issue >

502 Mag Mpi Issue

Notices

502 Mag Mpi Issue

Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 Mag Mpi Issue

So I am going to start from the beginning. About 4 weeks ago put the boat in the water and started to head to another boat ramp to pick 2 friends up. was almost there and boat felt like it it just lost power, not shut off, but just started slowing down. So I backed off and let it come down off plane. Tried to put it back up on plane and it wouldn't go. All gauges looked normal (Oil Temp 220, Water Temp 150, Oil pressure 45psi at idle 65-70psi on the throttle, Fuel Pressure just under 40psi, and Volts 14v). Idled into the dock to pick up a friend and his wife, and popped the hatch. Made sure all connections were good, fired back up and it acted fine. Boat ran perfect the rest of the day, and we did a good amount of running. My buddys dad owns a marina so I just tied it up on the floating dock that night as we got in late, and let my buddy take it up the river the next day to hang out since I couldn't go out and his boat was down. He said it did the lost power to him once, and then he said 2 times the boat just shut off like you flipped the key or pulled the kill switch. he popped the hatch wiggled the main harness and coil plug, and it started back up and they were under way. The first time it shut off he said they were cruising, the 2nd time he said they were coming into the marina. So I go up to his house the following weekend to check the boat out, it wouldn't start. I went back messed with the harness and coil plug and then got it to fire up, Take it down to my marina to mess with it. I started the boat to let it run and see if I could get it to shut off by messing with the harness and localize the issue. It shut off once when I wasn't touching anything, and then another time when I was messing with the harness. I pulled the harness, expanded all the pins, cleaned with electrical cleaner, and put it back together. It hasn't shut off from that point, so I put it in the water to test run, boat won't get up on plane. In neutral it would rev fine, but just wouldn't get up on plane. Its acting like it did the very first time I had an issue when it dropped power while cruising. Went back and started searching all the wires, saw an exposed wire in the MSD box wiring so wiggled on it, it pulled out of the butt connector and the boat shut off. I re did that connection and started the boat back up. Still won't get up on plane, felt like the timing was retarded. I hooked my lap top up to monitor everything. It was locked at 8.1 spark advance and wouldn't move. So I ordered an ignition module and I put it in, when I changed the module i noticed the internal posts on the cap to have a decent amount of build up so I cleaned them up (mind you my entire ignition system is 3 months old, and all msd with a 6m-2l box). Started the boat and it ran like complete ass, so i went ahead and put a cap, rotor, and new plugs since the plugs were pretty black. Checked with lap top and its getting spark advance now, but surges around at idle from basically stalling to 1500 rpms (it will stall), if you hit the throttle it was breaking up and popping pretty bad to where I didn't want to touch the throttle. So I checked the firing order, pulled distributor to check gear and cam gear, re dropped it, and re timed. Well when I put it in base timing mode it ran like it always did in base timing mode. All of that stuff checked out, took out of base timing and back to running like ****. I took some of my stock parts I had laying around to troubleshoot, dropped the coil in with no change, and dropped another ecu in with no change. checked all plug wires with timing light and all are firing, I am getting no arcing what so ever, had summit send me another module to verify I didn't get a bad one all with no change. Checked the grounds and they were tight. Scanned it and it has no codes and all sensors look to be operating as normal. In base timing mode it will run as it always has in base timing mode, and will rev perfectly fine, but once you take it out it does all the crazy **** again. Kinda getting frustrated at this point as it seems once I fix one thing another is popping up. It has to be all tied to a root cause
Old 07-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Some sensor i would guess is giving the ecu false info so it is riching/leaning out your engine. In base mode it is fine (so no sensor input adjusting things) but in normal mode it goes haywire. ECU is fine so not there, other changes you made would have caused it to run bad all the time.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Registered

I forgot to mention, I changed the ECT sensor, and map sensor with no change. The MAT sensor is reading a few degrees hotter than ECT which is normal (ECT 39 C, and MAT 42 C). There isn't any glitches in the TPS voltage when I cycle the throttle. The low oil pressure switch isn't faulting out. Is there a sensor I am missing that could be causing my issue? Also in base timing mode does it just kill ecu controlled timing, or does it kill a bunch of things?

Last edited by ealesh33; 07-30-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Registered

Finger cramps?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Registered

Nope, drank plenty of water prior and during, and I took 3 breaks lol