Oil filled bilge - need advise please ! >

Oil filled bilge - need advise please !

Notices

Oil filled bilge - need advise please !

Old 08-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think 1/8 NPT for me - I'm trying to figure out what size line to use from the block to the guage then where and how to mount it - keep the "T" so I can use the factory sensor.

The way it was installed before was a straight thin pipe with a T mounted to it, guage on one side and sensor on the other. Just want it visible when I pop the hatch to check on it !
Old 08-11-2014, 11:13 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Run a Go Pro back there if you are by yourself, then look at it afterwards. done that plenty of times to watch fuel pressure readings thru out all rpm ranges and finding water leaks especially driving in reverse ( water leaks) . I have some crazy mounts along with hose clamps and tie wraps to mount it a lot of places in the engine compartments. I have been doing this for years now.

there is also other cameras on the market like Go Pro that are very tiny. I have been looking at to buy to do the same vids. Some are the size of your thumb.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's a great idea BUP - if this doesn't fix the problem I'll try that - havea few go-pros !!
Old 08-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I went ahead and put the factory sensor back in the block till I can get what I need - will start it up tonight to see if there is a leak - we will see !!!

Thanks for all the help guys !
Old 08-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Took the boat for a quick run - boat struggled to start on hose, but eventually started - got to te lake and it fired right up, then a buzzard went off and i noticed low volts turned off to check oil and everything else -all was good, but couldn't restart without jumping it, ran the boat and the whole time that buzzard was going off - took out battery and checked them and both at zero. Did notice the oil pressure was lower thn usual, guessing cause the low volts ? Not sure if it's batteries or alternator. Frustrated !!!

Again my help is appreciated !!
Old 08-13-2014, 12:18 AM
BUP
Banned

Rick load test your batteries or bring them to whomever also make sure connections are tight along with no corrosion issues. Also you can have your Alt checked out as well like at O'Reillys or have good batteries installed, run motor, then put a volt meter on batteries to check voltage readings and then on back side of the Alt. Your voltage readings should be the same and anywhere from 13.2 to 14 Volts you are charging correctly. Check volts at dead idle and at around 1800 rpms as well, compare all the readings. Report back.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BUP
Rick load test your batteries or bring them to whomever also make sure connections are tight along with no corrosion issues. Also you can have your Alt checked out as well like at O'Reillys or have good batteries installed, run motor, then put a volt meter on batteries to check voltage readings and then on back side of the Alt. Your voltage readings should be the same and anywhere from 13.2 to 14 Volts you are charging correctly. Check volts at dead idle and at around 1800 rpms as well, compare all the readings. Report back.
Thanks BUP - got to poking around and found the orange wire broke off - I think this is the positive charging wire - see picture !!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527852[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Oil filled bilge - need advise please !-image.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 01:02 AM
BUP
Banned

Yes it is and Merc had a recall on this 12 V positive wire because one year at the factory they were routed wrong and caused broken connections and wire like what you have. And that's why I said to check volts on the back side of Alt to see if anything was not right. This is why your batteries discharged from the broken 12 V lead as the Alt was not charging and motor was running off battery volts alone (what it had left).

Do you think you hit the orange lead while working on the boat for the reason it broke ?

Also have to ask is it broken or burnt & broken ? make sure it not shorting out thru out. I have a boat in that the same wire shorted out and caused a fire. Was working on it tonight what a mess.

Last edited by BUP; 08-13-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BUP
Yes it is and Merc had a recall on this 12 V positive wire because one year at the factory they were routed wrong and caused broken connections and wire like what you have. And that's why I said to check volts on the back side of Alt to see if anything was not right. This is why your batteries discharged from the broken 12 V lead as the Alt was not charging and motor was running off battery volts alone (what it had left).

Do you think you hit the orange lead while working on the boat for the reason it broke ?

Also have to ask is it broken or burnt & broken ? make sure it not shorting out thru out. I have a boat in that the same wire shorted out and caused a fire. Was working on it tonight what a mess.
Thanks again BUP- yeah I could have broke it off, not burnt and the ring is still around the nut on the alternator - could low voltage also cause my oil pressure to be a bit lower on the guage ?

Haven't got my mechanical guage back on yet - but dash showed lower than normal - not by much though.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
Thanks again BUP- yeah I could have broke it off, not burnt and the ring is still around the nut on the alternator - could low voltage also cause my oil pressure to be a bit lower on the guage ?
Yes - mine will jump around and show a different reading when the nav lights are turned on. Wiring was a compromise at best on many of these boats. Still, you should verify your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge before leaning on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.