Power steering leak >

Power steering leak

Notices

Power steering leak

Old 08-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Power steering leak

Seeing red oil in bilge under the starboard eng (using ATF in PS pump).
Doesn't leak much after a weekend of boating, but after it sits for 2-3 weeks, I'll see it puddling outboard of the 2 stringers under the eng. Checked P/S fluid level and it's low. Replaced both lines going to the steering cyl, but still finding oil after a couple of weeks of sitting. Thought maybe it was coming from the pump/reservoir, but don't see how it could get outboard of the outboard stringer. Now I'm thinking it has to be coming from the power steering cyl (no ext steering installed). I checked the hose connections at the steering cyl and they were dry.

Is there a seal somewhere on the steering cylinder assy that would cause this type of leak?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Seeing red oil in bilge under the starboard eng (using ATF in PS pump).
Doesn't leak much after a weekend of boating, but after it sits for 2-3 weeks, I'll see it puddling outboard of the 2 stringers under the eng. Checked P/S fluid level and it's low. Replaced both lines going to the steering cyl, but still finding oil after a couple of weeks of sitting. Thought maybe it was coming from the pump/reservoir, but don't see how it could get outboard of the outboard stringer. Now I'm thinking it has to be coming from the power steering cyl (no ext steering installed). I checked the hose connections at the steering cyl and they were dry.

Is there a seal somewhere on the steering cylinder assy that would cause this type of leak?
I don't think it would be coming from the steering cylinder, my guess is either the cooler or pump. It could be coming off the pump back side and running down the back of something else like, plug wire, engine block, etc. Mine leaks just a tad every once in a while. It has hose clamps on the cooler and the return line for the pump. Uours is old enough to use the same setup. Use paper towels and feel around, it will probably show up where.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you also have a steering cooler mounted usually under left engine mount. it is on low pressure side so won't leak any more running than sitting. ps valve itself is outboard of right stringer in most cases. or possibly a weep in low pressure hose. high pressure leak will leak running, probably no leak sitting.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:17 AM
Registered

Thx for the replies.

Just went out and re-checked the location of the most outboard stringer (that has oil puddling on it's outboard side). It's located pretty much dead center of the crankshaft, maybe even slightly inboard of the crank. Guess i can't really rule out anything. Could of sworn it was further outboard. I'll be revisiting the pump/reservoir since the cooler is not very accessible .

When I removed the engs earlier this season, the P/S return line was wet but didn't notice anything else being wet. Was hoping that replacing the hoses would take care of it.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:21 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the bottom center of the 3 motor mount bolts holds the cooler on. it has 2 ends that are both return lines. (plus 2 water connections) just a loose clamp or cut hose right at the clamp will do it..
Old 08-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Registered

Took the boat out today. It was the first time out since I broke a shifter cable on July 4th. On the weekend of the 4th, I didn't have to add any P/S fluid.
Today I topped it off before I went out figuring it would last all day no problem. Went abt 20 mins and heard the squeal a p/s pump makes when it's low on fluid. Sure enough it was low. Topped it off and got back under way. Went to a store on the lake and picked up 2 more quarts of ATF, figuring that would surely get me up and down the lake. Topped it off again at the store. It was just a little low. Ran eng at abt 2000 rpm and looked for leaks, couldn't find any.

Got underway again and made it abt 10 miles. Hit a big cruiser wake and landed a bit hard. Instantly, no power steering. Opened the eng cover and found the hose had separated from the fitting where it attaches to the power steering cylinder assy. ATF everywhere. Removed the P/S belt and made it back to the trailer OK.
When I replaced the hoses, the hyd shop didn't have the correct fitting where it attaches to the power steering cyl. They re-used the old fitting with new hose. I thought since it was low press it would be fine. Guess not.

The good news is: I think I found the source of my slow leak.
Bad news is: I don't want to have the hyd shop try to repair it again and I have no idea where to find a replacement.
I've looked around the net but haven't had any luck. I made a post in the "Wanted" section.
Any ideas where I can find a new or gently used one?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm guessing you have add on external hydraulic steering or no external hydraulic steering and you still have the cable to the helm (allowing you to run with essentially no power assist steering. You need to verify which steering actuator you have on the transom. If you have the one with 2 metal lines crossing over the actuator it is considered the older style. If at some point it was replaced it will be all one piece self contained aluminum construction with just the 2 rubber lines entering. The actuator it would be the newer style. (There's also an even newer style with push lock hose fittings but I highly doubt you have one of those.

Here's the merc schematic for the older style. Here. (Part # 10)

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...ING+COMPONENTS

And the newer style also part #10

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...ING+COMPONENTS

Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:56 AM
Registered

That helps a lot. Thx!
I was on the same site but looking under drives instead of engines. All I could find under "power steering components" was the actuator assy..
Mine is the old type with 2 external hard lines and no ext steering (yet). Looks like it's item #12 in the parts breakdown.
Got one on the way.
Thx again.