Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Looking for advice >

Looking for advice

Notices

Looking for advice

Old 09-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the boat from a reputable Checkmate Dealer that did the install. I have learned alot about Procharging since then. I definitely want to do a full rebuild while the motor is out of the boat. I have talked to a couple of builders. Just not sure if it is in the budget for me this year.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I would contact Ron at Dynamic Speed and Marine in Harrison Twp. 586-949-5990, he did all the work on my motor. He is very meticulous and has built some very serious motors. I have sent a lot of people to him and everyone has said he is very reasonable. If you need a set of rods, I have a set of GMPP rods with ARP fasteners that have about 80 hours on them I'll sell cheap.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:19 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

You might want to think about aluminum heads
Old 09-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I would contact Ron at Dynamic Speed and Marine in Harrison Twp. 586-949-5990, he did all the work on my motor. He is very meticulous and has built some very serious motors. I have sent a lot of people to him and everyone has said he is very reasonable. If you need a set of rods, I have a set of GMPP rods with ARP fasteners that have about 80 hours on them I'll sell cheap.
Thanks, I will give him a call. I haven't pulled the pan yet to see what the lower end looks like.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm betting the bottom end not going to look bad....
Old 09-18-2014, 09:58 AM
Registered

I am still torn on what to do. Money is tight as i am saving for my sons College. Anyone have an idea what a rebuild would cost, i have recieved a few estimates and have entertained the idea of rebuiding it myself.

Can anyone give me advice on doing the rebuild myself? Not how to do it but is it a bad idea?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

You should still call Ron he will work with you. Let him do what you can't and you do the rest.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Registered

Called this morning. He will be in around 1:00 pm
Old 09-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just briefly, looked at the pictures. Being you had some tuning issues with the mefi, looks like the area between the cylinders started to get hot. You can see the darkened areas and the fire ring is distorted. It also looks like the area up around the large water port gave out in the intake valve area, which is where you will see detonation start to lift the ring lang and valve pocket area, that is most likely; where the H2O entered. Those are the same gaskets used on the 575SCI, they have a problem giving out over time. If they didn't give out from detonation or heat, the water came from the series of cylinders blowing between cylinders ; causing reversion.
As Alex, stated; that O2 getting wet, will show lean and it will dump fuel so fast, your head will spin. The Holley corrects for A/F ratio at a very fast rate, we have played with adding fuel and removing fuel on the dyno, which is going to accelerate at a faster rate then you will ever see in your boat.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Just briefly, looked at the pictures. Being you had some tuning issues with the mefi, looks like the area between the cylinders started to get hot. You can see the darkened areas and the fire ring is distorted. It also looks like the area up around the large water port gave out in the intake valve area, which is where you will see detonation start to lift the ring lang and valve pocket area, that is most likely; where the H2O entered. Those are the same gaskets used on the 575SCI, they have a problem giving out over time. If they didn't give out from detonation or heat, the water came from the series of cylinders blowing between cylinders ; causing reversion.
As Alex, stated; that O2 getting wet, will show lean and it will dump fuel so fast, your head will spin. The Holley corrects for A/F ratio at a very fast rate, we have played with adding fuel and removing fuel on the dyno, which is going to accelerate at a faster rate then you will ever see in your boat.
Thanks for the insight. Still doing some research here on my next move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.