HP500EFI head work??? >

HP500EFI head work???

Notices

HP500EFI head work???

Old 08-27-2002, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HP500EFI head work???

I'm interested in doing some cylinder head work this Winter on my HP500EFI's. Any suggestions, things to worry or be aware of? Any suggestions of someone in the Mid-West to have do the work (port & polish)?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2002, 07:23 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I don't know anyone in your area who does head work. But, if you do this work, the additional air flow may mean that you would need to upgrade your fuel system, andthat you would have to re-map your e.c.u. to match. Maybe if you just were interested in a minor de-bur and gasket match, you could get away without going further into the motor, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of how far you can go and be safe.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:11 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Diveboy,

There's lot's of room for making some pretty big HP improvements in your HP500 500EFI heads. Like Checkmate 454mag warned, if you improve the flow and disharge rate you'll need to compensate with your ECU settings. If you're going to work on the cylinder heads, you might also consider the appropriate piston and cam match, or at the minimum, a different cam to take advantage of the air flow possibilities?

Keep in mind that just about anytime you mess with stock, you reduce reliability and increase $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ output

Steve
Old 08-27-2002, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have JIM VALAKEO DO THE HEADS. He does very good work.
He is in Grand Rapids MI.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:17 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I can reccomend Tyler Crockett : http://www.crockettmarineengines.com/ I have a couple of engines he done for me last year, They have run fine all season, plus he works on the HP500 racing engines and can re "Seal" them for competition.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:03 AM
Registered

"can re "Seal" them for competition"....really??? not true!!! the APBA ONLY allows CRE to seal 500hp engines...please know the rules if your going to post them.

diveboy, please give me a call....i would not recomend doing head work just yet on that engine....there are a LOT more areas that can be tapped prior to removing metal....there is a TON of people that end up going backwards.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:14 AM
Registered

joey,

i think tyler crocket used to be able to "seal" them prior to the new CRE rule. there were a handful of builders like joey griffin who were allowed to "seal"them under the old rules. my engine was sealed by joey griffin. it didn't do me any good when they went to the new CRE rule. the CRE rule has definitely helped to minimize the cheating discussions.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Audicity, What would be your outlined plan for the 500EFI or HP500? Nobody wants to go backwards.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:57 AM
Registered

cobra marty,,,,i'm sure you know what it takes! i have read some of your posts in the past...my point is people are very egger to tear into the engine and not look at set-up first and foremost. or even when rebuilding an engine they set up for big top end dyna #'s and then compromise the rest of the curve...i understand no one wants to go backwards but people sometimes get to optimistic about the end result....i've seen thousands spent in engine work and ZERO done in bottom, transom, and X dimension work....which is WAY cheaper and does not compromise engine integrity (or piss your wife off )
Old 08-28-2002, 08:24 AM
liquid lounge

Diveboy- You are already at the practical limits of your induction system...money spent beyond this poit will give a new meaning to "diminishing returns". Don't buy into the "build it-then program it" approach as it just doesnt work that way.

Quick Reply: HP500EFI head work???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.