Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel System Fittings >

Fuel System Fittings

Notices

Fuel System Fittings

Old 09-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

How much power did you gain from installing the electric pump?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Registered

Old 09-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't do it to gain power, i noticed my fuel pressure was on the low side, and I like my stuff to be where it's suppose to be. It provided zero performance gain, and didn't expect it to. I feel that your question was a smart ass question as YOU know that fuel pressure doesn't have a performance gain in a carb application. I was told by several that it would be fine. It I just didn't like what I was seeing. I just talked to Bob today about doing a roller set up so more then likely I will have to change the pump before next year anyway.

Last edited by ealesh33; 09-16-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Registered

I apologize. Wasn't trying to insult your mechanical abilities. Just trying to make my point that the holley pumps were notorious for failing , the the regulators weren't much better. Besides the pump just quitting, the inconsistent fuel pressures were a pain.

Moving on. The 525 sc is a fun engine to upgrade. Going with one of bobs cams, possibly some flat top pistons if your rebuilding , is a nice bump in power. Watch those rear blower bearings for fuel contamination.

And 99 cent Teflon tape will work on your npt fittings. Just be sure not to get sloppy with the tape. Cleaning that crap out of the carb needle and seats is always a pain in the azz, not to mention burn up a piston or two.

The leak lock stuff mike tkach was talking about is some good stuff
Old 09-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ealesh33
Look man This thread has zero to do with the fuel pump I'm running, it was simply asking what thread sealant guys use on there fuel system cause my fittings in my regulator are leaking slightly(used permatex liquid thread sealant). I read a lot of your posts and consider you to be very knowledgeable, but I am not a beginner at this either, I don't know everything, I know a little about a little, and always learning. I wouldn't take a perfectly good mechanical pump off to go electric either, as the mechanical pumps are plenty sufficient. I don't know why the electric pump was put on. The fuel pressure was on the low side when I bought the boat, so I made the necessary corrections to make it right. Mechanical pumps fail too. The Holley Blue pump is equivalent to the stock merc mechanical pumps when it comes to GPH. With holding 6.5psi of pressure at WOT I am not having a fuel supply problem.
look man,just trying to save you from the headache you are going to get from that blue pump but it,s clear that you dont need the advice you are being given.just fyi i rebuild the sea pumps and replace the seals&bearings for less than you paid for the blue pump&fittings.i sure hope the pump doesent decide to crap out while you and your family are on a boating vacation,good luck.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Registered

I understand that you guys are looking out, and this conversation has enlightened me that I should probably throw the red pump in the boat so if the pump does take a **** unexpectedly I can install the red pump to get me home. I am unfamiliar with what needs to be done to the sea pump to rebuild it, I was aware that it could be done though. I wanted to be on the water so just grabbed the Marine blue pump and straightened out some fittings and line routing so it was all -8 AN and done correctly. I was talking to a guy I met recently who works at jaws marine, and he clued me in that the Holley regulator has a casting line where they tap it and he always runs a tap through them before installing as he has several leak if he didn't and that always fixes them. So I am going to check that out and see if I can see the line he is referring to then run a tap through it and re seal it up.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I apologize. Wasn't trying to insult your mechanical abilities. Just trying to make my point that the holley pumps were notorious for failing , the the regulators weren't much better. Besides the pump just quitting, the inconsistent fuel pressures were a pain.

Moving on. The 525 sc is a fun engine to upgrade. Going with one of bobs cams, possibly some flat top pistons if your rebuilding , is a nice bump in power. Watch those rear blower bearings for fuel contamination.

And 99 cent Teflon tape will work on your npt fittings. Just be sure not to get sloppy with the tape. Cleaning that crap out of the carb needle and seats is always a pain in the azz, not to mention burn up a piston or two.

The leak lock stuff mike tkach was talking about is some good stuff
Yes Bob has me very excited to do the conversion. As much as I want to go to the flat tops the motor was just freshens up along with the blower 150ish hours ago. With compression being 130 cold identical in every cylinder, great oil pressure, and no sign that the bottom end is in any kind if danger I just can't justify breaking it down, and Bob agreed. So the plan is to spec the cam with the idea that I will probably put an aluminum head on at a later date, and then rebuild time out the flat tops in and slide a new cam in for that set up. Problem with all that is the 177 won't make it through those mods, I think the stock blower will pretty much be done once the cam conversion is done, and will need to be upgraded to a 250 or 420 when putting heads on. Here is a good question for you, I have no extra clearance under my hatch (27ft fountain fever), and I don't want to cut my hatch, so the question is dimensionally, specifically height, is the 250 or 420?

I am trying to make the decision of whether to pick up this -2 imco this week, but I am getting mixed feedback. Stepped hull 95 27ft fever with a 5 1/2-5 3/4 X, just not sure if it's worth it. A guy said he picked up 3-5 on a 99 27 fever, and another guy said he got the same from a 98 29 fever. But have read people having negative effects speed and handling. But not sure the year they out them on.

Last edited by ealesh33; 09-16-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:02 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Added info - I have been using Gasoila for over 30 years and 25 of those years has been in the marine business. At one time, most of the marine fuel app manufacturers especially on the outboard side for all fuel tank fittings would recommend using Gasoila. In the 60's and 70's this was a huge product for the motorcycle crowd.

www.gasoila.com - They have expanded their line of products as well.

Also Hylomar has very good products.

Last edited by BUP; 09-17-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Almost any hardware store carries the yellow Teflon tape which is rated for gasoline contact.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ealesh33
Yes Bob has me very excited to do the conversion. As much as I want to go to the flat tops the motor was just freshens up along with the blower 150ish hours ago. With compression being 130 cold identical in every cylinder, great oil pressure, and no sign that the bottom end is in any kind if danger I just can't justify breaking it down, and Bob agreed. So the plan is to spec the cam with the idea that I will probably put an aluminum head on at a later date, and then rebuild time out the flat tops in and slide a new cam in for that set up. Problem with all that is the 177 won't make it through those mods, I think the stock blower will pretty much be done once the cam conversion is done, and will need to be upgraded to a 250 or 420 when putting heads on. Here is a good question for you, I have no extra clearance under my hatch (27ft fountain fever), and I don't want to cut my hatch, so the question is dimensionally, specifically height, is the 250 or 420?

I am trying to make the decision of whether to pick up this -2 imco this week, but I am getting mixed feedback. Stepped hull 95 27ft fever with a 5 1/2-5 3/4 X, just not sure if it's worth it. A guy said he picked up 3-5 on a 99 27 fever, and another guy said he got the same from a 98 29 fever. But have read people having negative effects speed and handling. But not sure the year they out them on.
I dont know the measurements off hand, although I do have them somewhere, buried. I had the 177, 250, and 420 blowers, on the same set of engines. If I were to do it over again, I would have skipped the 250 and went straight to the 420. The 420 is substantially taller than both of them though. Its close in size to an 8-71 dimensionally. Had them on the shelf next to each other this winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.