Trim Tab Advice?? >

Trim Tab Advice??

Notices

Trim Tab Advice??

Old 09-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Tab Advice??

Running one of the only Challenger Offshore 31 I DDC's made in 2006. 550 HP Ilmor powered ;; Bravo XR drive , full hydraulic steering.. NO trim tabs were put on these boats and with the light weight Viper power I have no problems getting planed out. I would like to improve ride and handling as at 65 mph and over she does porpoise and on occasion I see some chine walking. I know tabs will bring the bow down but I lose 3 mph with the trim in to keep the nose down. will running tabs parallel to the bottom give me more stability . This hull has a major single step and a 10" wide running pad aft of the step. The hull designer claims tabs are not the answer b ut since so few of these were made I need some input.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put the tabs on it. It will be a completely different boat. I have a 27 with two big steps with the tabs out of the water it porpoises like a mofo. I don't really see a speed difference with the tabs level cause the boat is much more manageable. If I have the wife and baby along and it's 3 footers I drop the tabs a little trim the drive and hold it wide open mid 80's and the baby falls asleep in the back seat while we pass by most other performance boats on the water...
Old 09-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Registered

Thanks, I think they will be a worthwhile investment
Old 09-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Put the tabs on it. It will be a completely different boat. I have a 27 with two big steps with the tabs out of the water it porpoises like a mofo. I don't really see a speed difference with the tabs level cause the boat is much more manageable. If I have the wife and baby along and it's 3 footers I drop the tabs a little trim the drive and hold it wide open mid 80's and the baby falls asleep in the back seat while we pass by most other performance boats on the water...
Agreed, will make for a much better ride...certainly did for our Scarab. I am a bit perplexed however with the whole mid 80's, 3 footers and baby sleeping thing....lol
Old 09-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by badmonkey
Agreed, will make for a much better ride...certainly did for our Scarab. I am a bit perplexed however with the whole mid 80's, 3 footers and baby sleeping thing....lol

I think he meant 3 inchers lol
Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttoys1
I think he meant 3 inchers lol
No 3' footers the boat turns into a plow with the tabs down. 632ci with dry exhaust puts my son right to sleep. Had a friend with her baby in the boat a couple of weekends ago running across the bay also out like a light.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
No 3' footers the boat turns into a plow with the tabs down. 632ci with dry exhaust puts my son right to sleep. Had a friend with her baby in the boat a couple of weekends ago running across the bay also out like a light.
I was just messing with ya. I have a 24 outlaw and the tabs do help in the rough. My son sleeps all the time too. It's like he can't even enjoy it cause he's sleeping the whole time lol.