Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
The Blower Shop Intercoolers  WTF!!! >

The Blower Shop Intercoolers WTF!!!

Notices

The Blower Shop Intercoolers WTF!!!

Old 09-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Blower Shop Intercoolers WTF!!!

Do all Blower Shop intercoolers Leak????????? Or am I just that unluckey??? I bought a pair of intercoolers from a guy here on OSO. When I get them they have obviosly been run in salt because there is a considerable amount of corrosion in them. So I figure I had better water test them. Sure enough they both have pin hole leaks. So I found a set of cores that have never been in salt and look brand new inside and out here locally. So i bought them and installed them in the cases and just for grinns I tested them to. They both have pin hole leaks also. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are these cores $1200 pieces of crap???? I would expect more from The Blower Shop. Anybody else have leak problems with these dang things. I'm just about ready to throw them in the dumpster.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Thats some bad luck buddy, I say Fu&%k intercoolers, I`ve never seen intake temps under my 10-71 more than 150* , they look pretty thou.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I've got a buddy who bought a pair of them used a while back on oso. He's finally getting around to assembling the engines, hopefully his will pressure test ok. They are also blower shop units.

I think aluminum cores, can also rot away in freshwater, just not as quickly as they would in salt. Besides leaks, you need to check them routinely to make sure the passages behind the end caps arent all clogged up with crud, calcium deposits, etc. They wont work well that way. Think of a clogged radiator, whether inside or outside that can make your car/truck run hot.

What are your intake air temps you are seeing?
Old 09-20-2014, 04:13 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told 2 seasons tops then its time for a new one...
Old 09-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Registered

Wow only 2 seasons. I had not heard that. I guess they are not a part you can by used. What about the Cupronickel cores? Is that the better way to go? They are pricey but then so is this sport. LOL I do not know what my intake temps are but that's something I should find out.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Likefastboats
Do all Blower Shop intercoolers Leak????????? Or am I just that unluckey??? I bought a pair of intercoolers from a guy here on OSO. When I get them they have obviosly been run in salt because there is a considerable amount of corrosion in them. So I figure I had better water test them. Sure enough they both have pin hole leaks. So I found a set of cores that have never been in salt and look brand new inside and out here locally. So i bought them and installed them in the cases and just for grinns I tested them to. They both have pin hole leaks also. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are these cores $1200 pieces of crap???? I would expect more from The Blower Shop. Anybody else have leak problems with these dang things. I'm just about ready to throw them in the dumpster.
They are alum. cores, so if someone doesn't take care of them; they will fail. Pin hole, leaks any chance they froze or were overheated?
Old 09-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Used intercooler cores

Hey Likefastboats,

We recommend not buying any used intercooler cores. We have found that they are for sale because the coolers most likely were leaking due to improper boat maintenance (especially in salt water). There is no reason to pull a good core out of an intercooler unless it leaked.

We carry a manufactures warranty and stand behind all of our parts. Please feel free to contact me anytime to help you resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Joe V
Sales Manager

The Blower Shop. Inc
1825 Surveyor Ave. #103
Simi Valley, Ca 93063
Tel: 805-581-1441
Fax: 805-581-1444
www.theblowershop.com

[email protected]
Old 09-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Welcome to OSO, I'm sure you will be a great resource.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

My buddy pressure tested his yesterday. Yep, sure enough, both leaked. Think he ordered 2 new cores from blower shop today.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you run antifreeze through them after every use then they are going to leak..my dad use to get 5 seasons out of his and guess who had to run the antifreeze through the coolers? lol then he said phuck the blowers and build some big cube motors..then said phuck it again and parked the boat..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.