Inexpensive 454 mag performance up grades >

Inexpensive 454 mag performance up grades

Notices

Inexpensive 454 mag performance up grades

Old 09-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Beer and horsepower has killed a few close one's. Okay, more than a few.

I'll take the horsepower. Save the beer for when the horsepower is shut off for the night.
Good point - sorry if I rubbed any wounds - my comment was purely in jest. Getting back on point, the OP needs to step back and evaluate his intentions for the boat. From his first post, it sounds like he has an nice older boat in very good condition. It also sounds like he enjoys using it like it is, but like all of us would love to get a few more MPH out of it. It also sounds like for better or worse, he has a limited budget. That's the main reason I posted what I did. I was in a similar spot - older boat in nice shape that was fine for what I used it for, but when the 454 finally blew a ringland off a piston, I wanted some more power for my money and effort. I can attest that the pursuit of that extra 8-10 mph gets expensive in a hurry. Little things sneak up on you. If he is going to do this my recommendation is to jump in with both feet and spend the money where it will do the most good and give him the best chance to make it live - heads and valvetrain. If he ends up below 500 HP, he can make it live even with the cast crank and the stock 330 rods - provided he invests in a good set of ARP rod bolts for it. But there are so many good used sets of the better magnum con rods out there that it makes sense to upgrade those - although I would still replace the stock rod bolts with ARP's. He absolutely, positively cannot skimp on the valvetrain. Spend your money here to make sure things are stable. A good billet hyd roller that gets the valve up off the seat quickly, somewhere around .600 lift, with a reasonable intake / exhaust duration and overlap (say 226* / 230*, 114* LSA) with a good flowing set of heads would probably get him up to 480+ HP and over 500 ft/lbs torque. He could probably get away with a set of used Merc 496 exhaust if the overlap is not too severe. Make sure you spend some money on a good set of hyd lifters (Morel?), good pushrods (.080 wall at least), quality lifters (Scorpion Endurance Marine or equivalent), good springs with matching retainers / keepers (Isky), and perhaps most important, good valves (inconel on exhaust). Then he will need to find a good intake and carb to take advantage of it.

Now I've gone and gotten carried away with spending someone else's money for them. And I have not mentioned all the little gotcha's like head gaskets, timing chain, oil pump, bigger oil cooler and lines, etc. That's why I suggested keeping the hatch closed and enjoying the boat for what it is.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:29 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Good point - sorry if I rubbed any wounds - my comment was purely in jest.
I took it how you said it - in jest.

All my wounds are long healed. I just spread the reminder when I have a chance.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by powerquest502
Have a beautiful 89 power play with a bone stock 330 HP 454 Mag, boat runs flawlessly top speed of 60 MPH .. yeah.. only 60 ( So as winter approaches I want to see what we can produce for hp gains, my thoughts are a "good cam" headers maybe a intake and carb...? I know their are MANY other directions to go, but the wife has a strangle hold on the budget... so any ideas what is a good cam .. intake.... carb for me ? any other ideas floating around out their?
thanks in advance Steve
Be THE man and honor the wife's strangle hold on the budget-- What's upsetting is that they usually are right!

3pointstar
Old 09-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... that sucks! I am a Harleys rider by nature and a HP chaser as well, so yea I know speed is not cheap, nearly 10K in a Harley 120 inch to make 130 HP ... but god what a blast to ride !!! Bought this boat last year and thought BB chevys were cheaper to make HP with.. looks like I was WRONG! lol Oh well.. I got a job... I was hoping (don't laugh now) to try to touch 80 mph with this powerplay, have a buddy with a 22' checkmate same year as mine with a small blower on his 454L yeah cam.... roller's headers etc... runs 79.5 on GPS.. looks like maybe a repower is the way to go......? how much work and expense is it to put a newer 496 HO in an older boat like mine again 1989 454 Bravo 1?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Registered

Well... that sucks! I am a Harleys rider by nature and a HP chaser as well, so yea I know speed is not cheap, nearly 10K in a Harley 120 inch to make 130 HP ... but god what a blast to ride !!! Bought this boat last year and thought BB chevys were cheaper to make HP with.. looks like I was WRONG! lol Oh well.. I got a job... I was hoping (don't laugh now) to try to touch 80 mph with this powerplay, have a buddy with a 22' checkmate same year as mine with a small blower on his 454L yeah cam.... roller's headers etc... runs 79.5 on GPS.. looks like maybe a repower is the way to go......? how much work and expense is it to put a newer 496 HO in an older boat like mine again 1989 454 Bravo 1?
I have doubts that a 496 HO would get an older PowerQuest up to 80. You would probably have to step up to a 500HP or 525. And the blue motors are expensive. But you are on the right track with the idea of just pulling your current motor and repowering. Or just find a boat that already does 80.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
Be THE man and honor the wife's strangle hold on the budget-- What's upsetting is that they usually are right!

3pointstar
You won't get any "likes" from SB with that reply.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Have a beautiful 89 power play with a bone stock 330 HP 454 Mag, boat runs flawlessly top speed of 60 MPH .. yeah.. only 60 ( So as winter approaches I want to see what we can produce for hp gains, my thoughts are a "good cam" headers maybe a intake and carb...? I know their are MANY other directions to go, but the wife has a strangle hold on the budget... so any ideas what is a good cam .. intake.... carb for me ? any other ideas floating around out their?
thanks in advance Steve
Inexpensive, that varies from person to person. What are you looking to spend?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Powerquest502
just finishing the same project you outlined. Here are my experiences.
I think all of the advice here is sound. It really depends on your personal situation.
Had stock motor 454/330 replaced
exhaust $ 1,000
intake $ 450
heads, with roller rockers $ 1,250
mostly used parts here on the forum lots of great quality parts at great prices everything always exactly as discussed.
Can't tell you the diference yet as still in process. Just saying. You are correct about high hp harleys i just finished my 100+ hp sportster.
Good luck
Old 09-25-2014, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love these forums.. so much great advise, in the Harley world we have "Harleytechtalk" same type website ... Looks like I have some home work to do and decisions to make ..... Thanks for all the ideas and advise...
I am sure it wont be long I will be asking more questions..LOL
Old 09-25-2014, 03:54 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Find a nice 540 and a good exhaust. What kind of steering are you running ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.