Twin Turbo Build >

Twin Turbo Build

Notices

Twin Turbo Build

Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo Build

Coming from the car world I am quite shocked at the lack of turbo builds, products, use in the marine world. Now getting into a boat (Baja 240 sport) I want to apply what I know about turbo applications for a fun project this winter.

I will first start off by saying that I am sure there will be many negative comments, instant debbie downers, etc. If you don't have something good to contribute or at least constructive criticism please leave this thread alone.

I am starting this to help gain more knowledge about the marine applications in general, Big Block's in general, and compile that with my knowledge of turbocharging to hopefully end up with a pretty cool build in the end.

What I have to start with:

Boat: Baja 240 sport

Engine: Tyler Crockett 502. Edelbrock 310cc ported heads, Merlin Intake, Quick Fuel Carb, Crane Cam, made 610 hp and 613 tq. Has a new in 2012 Bravo X drive with a 4 blade 26P and has seen 74.5mph GPS.

My thoughts and initial concerns:

The current engine. I have no desire to boost a carbureted engine. I know it can be done but it's far less complicated with EFI and tuning abilities opposed to a blow-thru. I am up in the air to either sell the current engine I have and drop in a complete 502 MPI or 525 EFI. I feel this would be the more expensive route. The other option would be to sell off my nice Lightning headers, Merlin Intake, and Qucik fuel carb to put towards an Edelbrock XT intake manifold/ throttle body, better fuel system and Holley HP EFI set-up.
What are your thoughts on this?

The goal:

To do something I really have not seen out there and have a very reliable, very unique twin turbo offshore I can take out and enjoy whenever I like. I would like to run low boost, comparable to what many people make with 5-7 psi from a Procharger on a 502 mpi, but of course maybe a little bit more power

Goal is to construct a set of manifolds first in Solid Works and make the drawing a reality. I then have many turbo connections and already have what I would use picked out. The rest then is simple fabrication on the turbo side of the game. Getting the engine in proper form first is my biggest concern!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:55 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Exhaust needs water.

There is a Checkmate on this board that runs over 100 with a pair of hairdryers. Look for his build.

There have been a few others too.

I don't think you'll see too many going down on debby, I mean debby downers, or what have you.....just a lot will follow your build along with trials, tribulations, success (hopefully), and tantrums. LOL.

Good luck, Have fun, and I'll be watching.

None done inexpensively.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Registered

Haha, it should be a very fun project (and certainly a pocket emptier).

Exhaust will all be watered!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Registered

I love turbos! I have a set of compounds on my power stroke that pushes over 50 psi and makes 700 HP and 1300 pound feet of TQ at the wheels. On Ur boat I think heat is the real issue. I don't see why you couldn't take a set of marine manifolds like my Dana marine flow TQs and make an adapter that would allow you to bolt on a turbo in place of the riser, then build a new dry riser to come out of the charger and exit the boat. Just run a jumper hose from the lower manifold, around the hair dryer and in to your new dry to tip tails. Then a boat load of heart wrap around the charger and maybe?
Just my ideas. Small baby turbo on each side. Sisters!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fordtrucks
I love turbos! I have a set of compounds on my power stroke that pushes over 50 psi and makes 700 HP and 1300 pound feet of TQ at the wheels. On Ur boat I think heat is the real issue. I don't see why you couldn't take a set of marine manifolds like my Dana marine flow TQs and make an adapter that would allow you to bolt on a turbo in place of the riser, then build a new dry riser to come out of the charger and exit the boat. Just run a jumper hose from the lower manifold, around the hair dryer and in to your new dry to tip tails. Then a boat load of heart wrap around the charger and maybe?
Just my ideas. Small baby turbo on each side. Sisters!
We are going to design and build a set of water cooled manifolds. Then use water jacketed turbine housings, water jacketed downpipes, etc.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Registered

Fancy!
Old 10-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Registered

Looking for some guidance as to what to do with the engine? Convert what I have to EFI and run it? Or sell my engine complete and pick up a stock 502 MPI or 525 EFI, etc?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

OSO's own (Check300) Single engine, #6 Drive, 3blade
Attached Thumbnails Twin Turbo Build-check300-13.jpg   Twin Turbo Build-p9060152.jpg   Twin Turbo Build-dyno_01.jpg  

Twin Turbo Build-check300-11.jpg   Twin Turbo Build-check300-3.jpg   Twin Turbo Build-check300-7.jpg  

Twin Turbo Build-check300-1.jpg  
Old 10-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

with a handle like Superman, use your x-ray vision to look through the walls at Merc and get the skinny on the 1350 all kidding aside, I saw a twin turbo monster at Smith power make 1749 hp and when Brad shut it down the torque curve was still climbing, good luck sounds like a sweet project

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 10-02-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
with a handle like Superman, use your x-ray vision to look through the walls at Merc and get the skinny on the 1350

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.