Need engine advice N A 598 cubic inch rebuild >

Need engine advice N A 598 cubic inch rebuild

Notices

Need engine advice N A 598 cubic inch rebuild

Old 10-14-2014, 02:03 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant tell from the pic, is the valve guide out of round/wore out?
Old 10-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dudnt i give you the build folder ? i just looked and cant find it here . . im sure its in that boat folder i gave you . all the specs on the motor n parts are in it ... let me know ill look around some more . valves are pbm if i recall , its been a while though
Old 10-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob I have all the information. Just have not looked at in a while.
Thanks
Tim
Old 10-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
Cant tell from the pic, is the valve guide out of round/wore out?
The heads are now bare I really didn't look at them. The guides are going to be replaced.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

looks like a non iconel valve failure, but not sure what they were yet? are the ferrera Inconel or another metal? I use the manley now, never again taking a chance of that issue.

I know anything can fail but tons of guys told me they never saw a manley Inconel break so I went with them...whow knows if it's true or not, to me anything can break and will haha
Old 10-15-2014, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
looks like a non iconel valve failure, but not sure what they were yet? are the ferrera Inconel or another metal? I use the manley now, never again taking a chance of that issue.

I know anything can fail but tons of guys told me they never saw a manley Inconel break so I went with them...whow knows if it's true or not, to me anything can break and will haha
Ferrea claims their "Super Alloy" exhaust valves can withstand up to 2400 degress, where I believe inconel is rated to 1800 degrees.

While I do agree that using a high temperature tolerant exhaust valve of their nature, is a necessity on a marine engine, that alone isnt enough to close the book on things. Cutting the valve seat width too narrow, can lead to valve overheating. The majority of heat from the valve, is transferred to the cylinder head, when the valve contacts the seat. Alot of shops, try to cut narrow seat widths, in an effort to improve air flow. While that may be true, you do not want to compromise exhaust valve cooling, by doing so in a marine application.Same goes for valve seat materials. Some are more tolerant to extreme temps better than others.

So, aside from using the inconel or ferrea super alloys, one must also have the proper valve seat widths, proper fuel mixture, no water contamination to the exhaust valves from a leaky header, manifold, or reversion, if you do not want this situation to happen.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Ferrea claims their "Super Alloy" exhaust valves can withstand up to 2400 degress, where I believe inconel is rated to 1800 degrees.

While I do agree that using a high temperature tolerant exhaust valve of their nature, is a necessity on a marine engine, that alone isnt enough to close the book on things. Cutting the valve seat width too narrow, can lead to valve overheating. The majority of heat from the valve, is transferred to the cylinder head, when the valve contacts the seat. Alot of shops, try to cut narrow seat widths, in an effort to improve air flow. While that may be true, you do not want to compromise exhaust valve cooling, by doing so in a marine application.Same goes for valve seat materials. Some are more tolerant to extreme temps better than others.

So, aside from using the inconel or ferrea super alloys, one must also have the proper valve seat widths, proper fuel mixture, no water contamination to the exhaust valves from a leaky header, manifold, or reversion, if you do not want this situation to happen.
Good info, I had Tom at Gellner do my heads last year so I hope I'm. Good lol he found all kinds of issues with the heads and fix everything I've had no problems cents which is nice
Old 10-15-2014, 06:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

Good info, I had Tom at Gellner do my heads last year so I hope I'm. Good lol he found all kinds of issues with the heads and fix everything I've had no problems cents which is nice
Old 10-15-2014, 06:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This was a couple years ago when I got a fuel line clogged with **** from the gas tank Dominic go over said he has never seen inconel valve do that before thank god I had good valves![ coula been worseATTACH=CONFIG]531037[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Need engine advice N A 598 cubic inch rebuild-image.jpg  
Old 10-17-2014, 01:24 PM
Registered

Looked at the build sheet the valves were PMB. The number on the valve is a stainless valve. Contacted Dart today they can repair the head also. Waiting on an email reply as to the cost. They said most Aluminum head atre easily repaired.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.