Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil temp problem in my 572, need input/advice.... >

Oil temp problem in my 572, need input/advice....

Notices

Oil temp problem in my 572, need input/advice....

Old 10-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Any chance it is a windage issue at high RPM's? What pan and windage tray are you running? Since oil temp seems to be OK when checking the pan, this is where I would look.
This engine started out as a HP500 bulldog, and bulldog comes with a Melling high output unit,the bulldog came with a 12 qt Merc. cast aluminum oil pan
Old 10-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
The oil cooler is off a HP500 bulldog
So stock 500hp cooler now on a 572ci making ?????

If you suspect oil foaming, trying running the pan 1 quart low on oil and see if that helps.

Am i correct in assuming you havent checked oil temp at wot ? Or you did?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
So stock 500hp cooler now on a 572ci making ?????

If you suspect oil foaming, trying running the pan 1 quart low on oil and see if that helps.

Am i correct in assuming you havent checked oil temp at wot ? Or you did?
HM,
The 572 Dyno'd at 680Hp, attached is the Dyno run sheet. And right now the oil is about 1/2 qt low, (oil level is 1/2 way between low and full on the dip stick). And I can't check the oil temp at WOT with the IR gauge, my oilt temp gauge never moves.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
572 Bulldog dyno.pdf (432.6 KB, 351 views)
Old 10-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

My guess would be the stock cooler isnt enough to support nearly 700hp. But without the Oil temps, just a guess
Old 10-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Check the resistance at the meter, I had a similar problem and I found a break in the wire inside the insulation. As far as Kendall oil, I hate to go here, but I used to run Kendall Racing in my Trans-Am and it had horrible viscosity stability. I run Amsoil Dominator 15w-50 in my 524 pushing 700hp. My cooler is actually a little small and after a hard run my oil gets up to 270 but pressure stays constant while running. The pressure will drop at idle to 20psi for less than a minute when I drop to an idle, as the cooler catches up the pressure comes right back.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
My guess would be the stock cooler isnt enough to support nearly 700hp. But without the Oil temps, just a guess
When I shot the oil cooler with the IR gun yeterday after 3500 rpm cruise, it read only 85 deg. That is what is making me think the oil therostat is not opening at all.... The oil cooler is not even hot to the touch, but the oil filter is and the thremostat housing are both reading 180-185 deg. after the 3500 rpm cruise....
Old 10-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
Check the resistance at the meter, I had a similar problem and I found a break in the wire inside the insulation. As far as Kendall oil, I hate to go here, but I used to run Kendall Racing in my Trans-Am and it had horrible viscosity stability. I run Amsoil Dominator 15w-50 in my 524 pushing 700hp. My cooler is actually a little small and after a hard run my oil gets up to 270 but pressure stays constant while running. The pressure will drop at idle to 20psi for less than a minute when I drop to an idle, as the cooler catches up the pressure comes right back.
TIL,
I have verified the gauge and the wiring is good, according to Livorsi, if I take the lead off the sendor and ground it on the engine somewhere, the gauge neddle swings full hot, so Livorsi says the gauge and wiring are good, and I talked with Liviorsi and they gave the Ohms readings I took out the sender and boiled it and got the Ohm readings I was suppose to.... i think the sender is good....
Old 10-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Is the filter pad bypass plugged or are you running a 30 lb. bypass valve? I ask only because I've seen this problem where the bypass valve was left out of one engine. Starboard engine would hit 210 on the guage, oil cooler t-stat would open, and oil temp would drop to 180. Port motor oil temp wouldn't budge. Filter pad bypass was never plugged and no bypass valve installed. Put plug in bypass hole and port motor built oil temp just like starboard. Oil temp sending units were located on remote filter housing.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Is the filter pad bypass plugged or are you running a 30 lb. bypass valve? I ask only because I've seen this problem where the bypass valve was left out of one engine. Starboard engine would hit 210 on the guage, oil cooler t-stat would open, and oil temp would drop to 180. Port motor oil temp wouldn't budge. Filter pad bypass was never plugged and no bypass valve installed. Put plug in bypass hole and port motor built oil temp just like starboard. Oil temp sending units were located on remote filter housing.
That is 2 Q's I don't know, I'll try to check it out
Old 10-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
When I shot the oil cooler with the IR gun yeterday after 3500 rpm cruise, it read only 85 deg. That is what is making me think the oil therostat is not opening at all.... The oil cooler is not even hot to the touch, but the oil filter is and the thremostat housing are both reading 180-185 deg. after the 3500 rpm cruise....
Bingo .. that's it change t-stat its like 25-30$ just went thru this. t-stat closed, no flow to cooler..go to BAM web site put in HP500..u will c a diagram of the filter/housing with the t-stat set up. it has a spring that holds it in place, but also keeps a non functioning t-stat closed. its essentially a diverter valve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.