Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gas Ssteam Out Of Whipple Chargers >

Gas Ssteam Out Of Whipple Chargers

Notices

Gas Ssteam Out Of Whipple Chargers

Old 10-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not trying to split hairs but note that "fumes" are combusted fuel byproduct. Vapors are evaporated fuel, solvent etc. I think he has vapors in the engine compartment not fumes.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

What ever it is he needs to stop using the thing till he figures it out before he blows himself up. Sounds like he is still running it and trying to figure out a way to deal with the vaprs.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 599 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Not trying to split hairs but note that "fumes" are combusted fuel byproduct. Vapors are evaporated fuel, solvent etc. I think he has vapors in the engine compartment not fumes.
Wow

You learn something new everyday
Old 10-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 599 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
What ever it is he needs to stop using the thing till he figures it out before he blows himself up. Sounds like he is still running it and trying to figure out a way to deal with the vaprs.
And maybe post a few no smoking signs around the boat for now too?

I
Old 10-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
And maybe post a few no smoking signs around the boat for now too?

I
Or at least make sure the insurance is up to date....
Old 10-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Isn't fuel Injected before the Whipple allowing it to pass through the two screws and mix with the compressed air? Maybe there's some left In there and for some reason the vapor falls to the lowest spot which is cabin. I'm not saying g the Whipple is bad just sorta makes sense that there would be unburnt fuel left over.....
Old 10-16-2014, 02:08 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Isn't fuel Injected before the Whipple allowing it to pass through the two screws and mix with the compressed air? Maybe there's some left In there and for some reason the vapor falls to the lowest spot which is cabin. I'm not saying g the Whipple is bad just sorta makes sense that there would be unburnt fuel left over.....
Exactly.

He mentioned he tapes off front of intake and it get's better.

I asked this earlier but no response yet.

Originally Posted by SB
BTW: Is your Whipple Kit the old style that bolts to the factory MPI intake or the newer style that has it's own intake manifold ?
Old 10-18-2014, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi you all,

Sorry that i was out for a while. I looked into a Dictionary and belive the right expession is "evavorated gas".

It's the new Whipple Kit, bought it early last year brand new from CP Performance.

To calm a little down, i will not die in a boat explosion! I know about this problem. My learnt vocation is Automobile Service Mechanic. I'm 47 years old and i work since 10 years now as a Service Adviser in a VW Audi Shop.

The gas smell start after shutt off the motors. When the motors are warm the gas evaporate in the Chargers and come out after 2-3 min. It starts realy at the engines. I opend the Botten holes and there s nothing at the same time where it start by the Motors. With the engine compartment closed, it stinks up into the cabin after about 2 hours. Then with a tonneau cover it's extrem.

I tape the air intake "flame arrester" with paper tape like used for paint jobs. May i should try foil tape.

I front if the charger screws 6 injectors blow the gas into the charger housing. When you shut off the warm engine, the air/gas mixture Beginn evaporate.
That's the explanation i belive in and realy exclude any tank leaks.

A friend of min have a Cigarette Top Gun with 2 Mercury Racing 662's with the injectors underneth the intercooler. They smell only a little.

It would be realy intresting to hear if other motors with Whipple Chargers like this have allso such a gas vaporation.

Greatings

Hans
Old 10-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, i should proofread before i post it.

My computer want to change everything into german words.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like after you shut the engines off the injectors are leaking some fuel into the manifold.

If thats the case, you guys must have some really crappy quality gasoline over there for brand new injectors to start leaking in 2 years.

You see many injector problems in the cars you work on in the VW / Audi shop you work at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.