Kaama Question? >

Kaama Question?

Notices

Kaama Question?

Old 10-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kaama Question?

Anyone know the approx value of kaama parts?
I have a pile of parts I may want to sell But have no idea if anyone uses them anymore?
I know the boots cost me alot, used a while back when i needed one.
I have a few of these boots used , two trannys I think three tail units, and gimbles

Also does anyone know if the props that fit these fit anything else?

Any input would be helpful
Old 10-17-2014, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I bet the props fit lots of things.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by actionmarineguy
I have a pile of parts I may want to sell But have no idea if anyone uses them anymore?
I have a few of these boots used , two trannys I think three tail units, and gimbles

The props will fit any #3 speedmaster 19 spline. There is a guy on here that bought some drives but needs trannys to put them in his boat he has a Scarab I think his name is 502ss

There are a lot of guys still using them also I think BCK and ALJ on here were both looking for some boots.

As far as price it is kind of who needs them and what is fair I guess. It is not like they are making new drives anymore however the bearings and u-joints are off the shelve parts at your local napa. the gimbles and the housings are the most important parts. JMHO
Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by actionmarineguy

I am interested in the props and transom assemblies.

PM Sent
Old 10-17-2014, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Any clue how much power those will take?
Old 10-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Any clue how much power those will take?
I think they were rated for 600 however I believe there was a 357 that was suppose to have 700 a side. I was always told the trannys were the weak link.

with that being said there was a gent on here that had 614 a side and never had a trans problem.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 570 Likes on 237 Posts

Is it true that the special drop transmission that is needed to use the Kaama is really heavy and parasitic compared to other trannies?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Transmission are Twin-Disc 502s, used in forklifts. Nothing special. They can take alot of stress and have equal clutch plates on both sides, so they can be run either direction without harm (this is how Kaama counter-rotates the drives) Horsepower is 700hp, at 5500 rpm but I think that's the limitation of the transmission, not the drive. Prop shafts are 19-spline, same as SSMIII, and came in a long and short shaft configuration. Still alot of good props floating around.

Parts are only valuable to someone who needs them, as this is a pretty small group. But if you need them, they're priceless. I bought 2 complete drives, transmissions to props and all hardware, teardrop gimbels and longshafts, for $6500. 3 years ago just so I'd have everything I could possible need if something goes south.

I would still like to have Kaama dual ram steering, so ActionMarineGuy, if you got that in your pile, shoot me a PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Car Biz is correct-a-mundo! Housings are the only things that can't be re-manufactured. Shafts can be built. Gears are pretty expensive to build, as they require a meteric spline and heat-treating, so they are often cheaper to buy, if you can find them at all. Every other consumable (except boots) comes off the shelf.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CDShack
Car Biz is correct-a-mundo! Housings are the only things that can't be re-manufactured. Shafts can be built. Gears are pretty expensive to build, as they require a meteric spline and heat-treating, so they are often cheaper to buy, if you can find them at all. Every other consumable (except boots) comes off the shelf.
The boots are being made in Europe by GM Marine. I have bought 2 and they are better than the original.

Does anyone know where I can find 2 original 4 blade kaama props? I have thrown blades on 3 now. However the boat runs the best with them. They are a variable pitch but are around a 17x26

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.