procharged 502 fuel system >

procharged 502 fuel system

Notices

procharged 502 fuel system

Old 11-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default procharged 502 fuel system

Putting together a fuel system for my Procharged 502 MPI. Running 7 lbs. boost, 72lb. injectors. Couple of things I have been pondering.

My pick up tube is approximately 3/8" ID. I have heard a lot of different opinions on whether that is big enough or not?

Are 3/8" NPT fittings large enough?

I am looking at ditching the stock fuel rail and going with twin extruded rails. Most of the ones I have looked at are a 5/8" ID. Pretty big when I was planning on running -6 line to them?
Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Talk with Smitty (arcticfriends) he has been down that road and back.

Ive been told the 3/8 pickup is fine but all the fittings should be changed. I went with 1/2 npt x 1/2 barb id and hose. Fitting on tank is 3/8 npt and i put a 3/8 npt x 1/2 barb on there.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Talk with Smitty (arcticfriends) he has been down that road and back.

Ive been told the 3/8 pickup is fine but all the fittings should be changed. I went with 1/2 npt x 1/2 barb id and hose. Fitting on tank is 3/8 npt and i put a 3/8 npt x 1/2 barb on there.
Hey Gimme hows it going? Dropped the motor off at Champion Performance last week.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Rob ..... I upped my Pickups to 5/8" ....Ran 10 AN Hose to Aeromotive Eliminator Fuel Pumps then 10 hose to an Aeromotive Y block and then two 8 hoses up to the fuel rails ....m
Old 11-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Registered

Thanks I couldn't remember what size hose guys were running. I am hoping that 3/8 NPT fittings will be big enough also. I may drill them out if necessary. I was running 8 AN hose I am going to go to 10AN
Old 11-10-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by hadleycat
Hey Gimme hows it going? Dropped the motor off at Champion Performance last week.
Going good. Just pulled my motor and put it on the stand for the winter. Made winterizing easier haha. First thing in the spring I will do some inspecting, change pressure spring in the oil pump, adjust cam timing, and drop her back in. Hopefully that will find those pesky extra horsepowers.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hadleycat
Putting together a fuel system for my Procharged 502 MPI. Running 7 lbs. boost, 72lb. injectors. Couple of things I have been pondering.

My pick up tube is approximately 3/8" ID. I have heard a lot of different opinions on whether that is big enough or not?

Are 3/8" NPT fittings large enough?

I am looking at ditching the stock fuel rail and going with twin extruded rails. Most of the ones I have looked at are a 5/8" ID. Pretty big when I was planning on running -6 line to them?
We plumb them in #10 hose. If I have to use a 3/8" NPT fitting, I will use a SS fitting and drill out the pipe side to match the #10 side. By using SS, it will still be strong enough. If you bored out an aluminum fitting, it may break because it will be pretty thin.

With the correct mods, the stock fuel rail can support the power. We have used them on engines making near 1000 hp. This was a 547 ci, Brodix heads, extrude honed intake, 65 lb injectors, M3 making 9 psi.
Eddie
Old 11-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
We plumb them in #10 hose. If I have to use a 3/8" NPT fitting, I will use a SS fitting and drill out the pipe side to match the #10 side. By using SS, it will still be strong enough. If you bored out an aluminum fitting, it may break because it will be pretty thin.

With the correct mods, the stock fuel rail can support the power. We have used them on engines making near 1000 hp. This was a 547 ci, Brodix heads, extrude honed intake, 65 lb injectors, M3 making 9 psi.
Eddie
Thanks Eddie, You have helped me a ton with my Procharger set-up. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Eddie has a thread on making a new PU for the fuel tank and we used his method and has worked out great ... Aeromotive called for .75 PU's but Eddie said the .625 would be fine .... the larger the pu the more fuel the pump has to lift and the aeromotive doesnt suck as well has it pushes ..... ..... what are you using for ecu's? I have 2 mefi1's that worked great on my prochargers .......

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...fi-1-ecus.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532370[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails procharged 502 fuel system-p1020028.jpg  

Last edited by offthefront; 11-10-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
Eddie has a thread on making a new PU for the fuel tank and we used his method and has worked out great ... Aeromotive called for .75 PU's but Eddie said the .625 would be fine .... the larger the pu the more fuel the pump has to lift and the aeromotive doesnt suck as well has it pushes ..... ..... what are you using for ecu's? I have 2 mefi1's that worked great on my prochargers .......

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...fi-1-ecus.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532370[/ATTACH]
I am using the Holley HP self tuning ECU. I am also Fabbing a pick-up like Eddie has posted. I believe going from 3/8" ID to 1/2" ID makes quite a difference.

My Datalogs showed I was getting enough fuel with the -8 line, 3/8 npt fittings, and 3/8 pick-up running 7 lbs. boost at 5200 rpm. Not sure how close I was to maxing out my fuel system so I want to go a little bigger for a safety margin while I have the engine out. I am also ditching the Cool Fuel now and returning directly to tank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.