Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Dyno proven 675-700 HP 540CI recipes? >

Dyno proven 675-700 HP 540CI recipes?

Notices

Dyno proven 675-700 HP 540CI recipes?

Old 08-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I've seen Stainless Marine on 1075 Merc's. Owner got tired of leaking CMI's.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by knot 4 me
i've seen stainless marine on 1075 merc's. Owner got tired of leaking cmi's.
a m 3?
Old 08-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

AMII my buddy had headers fixed twice when he owned it new owner went stainless marine

Originally Posted by endeavor1
a m 3?
Old 08-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I hear alot mention "stainless marine" ..they make a great product no doubt. Their standard manifolds, and Gen III manifolds, are very different. Standard manifold is typical divided runner, into a 3.5 gas pipe tail. Gen III, are a split runner manifold as well, but with a massive cast elbow, that goes into a 4.5 gas pipe, with 5 inch overall diameter tail. Mostly found on large forced induction setups.

I think for manifolds, it was and is hard to beat the old PFM /Eickert style manifolds. They are basicallly a cast aluminum header, with long runner lengths. Not just a short 8 inch runner dumping into a common plenum or tailpipe.

This is old stuff pretty much. Same principles guys 50 years ago were ditching their manifolds for headers on musclecars making 400hp and going faster.
On my m3sc blower motor the eickerts wouldnt clear the supercharger, i sent them back, running stainless gen 3s which have worked flawlessly. On a side note every young kid wants their boat to be stupid loud, mine with 5" tails dry to the tip are so loud your ears would ring i put mufflers on and boat lost zero speed and still ran 99mph in back to back test, fwiw, smitty
Old 08-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Think those were gen 3 manifolds werent they ?
Old 08-05-2015, 02:35 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Okay, so what happens during overlap when someone is using wrong collector length (btw: if your riser/tailpipe is same ID as your 'collector', then they too are part of the collector) and right when your exhaust valve opens, an big exhaust energy wave on it's return path enters thru the exhaust valve into the combustion chamber ?

Answer: You re f*ked and the engine become a turd.

It's all about the energy wave timing while your exhaust valve is open...especially during overlap.

When you exhaust valve opens, a large pressure wave shoots towards the atmosphere. When it hits the atmosphere, some of it comes right back. It's physics. This pressure wave goes back and forth, back and forth, slowly decaying in energy. Again, it's physics. We do not want this pulse/wave to hit the xhaust valve when it opens. We want it to be going toards the atmosphere and we want it to be doing so during overlap, to help as much fresh air/fuel mix to be in the combustion chamber when it becomes trapped.

We can call overlap the 5th cycle...on a 4cycle engine.

As I keep saying, like a broken record, with a NA engine, the more cam (overlap) you add, the more important it is to get your exhaust correct.

Last edited by SB; 08-05-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
On my m3sc blower motor the eickerts wouldnt clear the supercharger, i sent them back, running stainless gen 3s which have worked flawlessly. On a side note every young kid wants their boat to be stupid loud, mine with 5" tails dry to the tip are so loud your ears would ring i put mufflers on and boat lost zero speed and still ran 99mph in back to back test, fwiw, smitty
I hear ya on the noise. Icdeppl had stellings steroid headers, that were huge. I believe they were 2.25 primary ID, with 2.5" or 2.75 outer jacket , into 5 inch dry tails. With twin blown 540s, they were nasty loud when the mufflers were off it. He has switched to gen 3s, and still full dry tails. Its still loud, not sure if they are as loud as the big steroid headers though. I have the regular stellings on mine, with 4.5 full dry tails. It too can be pretty loud, esp when you start getting into boost.

Loud is cool, but it gets old as well. Esp when you are at the ramp/dock trying to tune or fiddle with something. People get pizzed off much faster than they would if you had a pair of 454 mags and wet exhaust.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Okay, so what happens during overlap when someone is using wrong collector length (btw: if your riser/tailpipe is same ID as your 'collector', then they too are part of the collector) and right when your exhaust valve opens, an big exhaust energy wave on it's return path enters thru the exhaust valve into the combustion chamber ?

Answer: You re f*ked and the engine become a turd.

It's all about the energy wave timing while your exhaust valve is open...especially during overlap.

When you exhaust valve opens, a large pressure wave shoots towards the atmosphere. When it hits the atmosphere, some of it comes right back. It's physics. This pressure wave goes back and forth, back and forth, slowly decaying in energy. Again, it's physics. We do not want this pulse/wave to hit the xhaust valve when it opens. We want it to be going toards the atmosphere and we want it to be doing so during overlap, to help as much fresh air/fuel mix to be in the combustion chamber when it becomes trapped.

We can call overlap the 5th cycle...on a 4cycle engine.

As I keep saying, like a broken record, with a NA engine, the more cam (overlap) you add, the more important it is to get your exhaust .
What happens on the 5th cycle if you leave a spark plug loose?
Old 08-05-2015, 04:31 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
What happens on the 5th cycle if you leave a spark plug loose?
If it is a Ford, it is usually not the installers fault. Hah !
Old 08-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
a m 3?
I think II. I think it was the one owned by BraceYourself that ended up in LOTO for a bit and has since been sold again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.