De-tuning my 2001 ilmor supercat 517 >

De-tuning my 2001 ilmor supercat 517

Notices

De-tuning my 2001 ilmor supercat 517

Old 01-13-2015, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Ordered the Pistons last week. Went with CP bullet Pistons. One of the cool things about them is you can order them with .150, .180 or .200 walled pins. I went with the .200 wall pins.

My friend is dropping off the block, crank, pistons and rods at victory engines sometime later this week. We will be resizing the rods, boring the block to 4.560, sizing everything up to order bearings and we're having the bronze lifter bored bored and honed for larger .903 lifters. Oddly enough, they were .842 lifters.

Going to order the cam, lifters, springs and hardware from bob shortly. Going with morel needle bearing lifters and the isky tool room springs that bob recommended.

Also, got the barnes dry sump pump all cleaned up and ready to re-assemble. Had to switch the location of one of the mounting plates to align the pulleys.
Why not just go all the way to a .937 lifter? Or are you going hydraulic?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Why not just go all the way to a .937 lifter? Or are you going hydraulic?
The block already has 1" OD bushings in it. I don't want to spend the extra cash to remove, machine and install new bushings.
My cam is a mild pleasure boat grind with relatively light spring pressure. I'm thinking that the .810 wheel will prove sufficient for what I'm doing.
Add to that the .937 lifters are 250 bucks more.
To some, the extra 600 bucks to move from the .903 to the .937 is negligible but, to me and what I'm doing, I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

Cam will be a 55MM solid roller.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Registered

Just curious. The lifters I bought are the same price no matter what the diameter but the .937's need a 1.062 od bushing. Add-on the cost of the bushings @ $44/ea it does add up fast. Is this going to be a mechanical cam?
Old 01-13-2015, 08:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just curious. The lifters I bought are the same price no matter what the diameter but the .937's need a 1.062 od bushing. Add-on the cost of the bushings @ $44/ea it does add up fast. Is this going to be a mechanical cam?
The morel lifters get more expensive as the diameter goes up.
Yes, the cam is a mechanical roller.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
The morel lifters get more expensive as the diameter goes up.
Yes, the cam is a mechanical roller.
Your 24 is gonna accelerate like crazy with that mechanical cam in it.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Update:

Parts are all machined and ready for pickup!

Block bored and honed
Crank polished
Rotating assembly balanced
Bronze lifter bores machined for the larger solid lifters
Rods resized
All clearances set.

We're going to pick everything up in the next week or so and mock up a cylinder so we can see where we need to be with the deck height.

A few more minor parts to buy and we should be set.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What did you go with for lifters .937? And did you do 55mm cam? Does your lifter bushings have a oil band around the outside?
Old 03-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 14 apache
What did you go with for lifters .937? And did you do 55mm cam? Does your lifter bushings have a oil band around the outside?
.937 Jesel Tall Body. 55mm cam 60mm barrel. Just over .800 lift. Got the block back last week mocked cam up. Everything is perfect on the oil side of things. Jesel moves the oil band on the lifter compared to a crower I did use Jesel bushings but they were solid and had to drill oil holes in them. I'm extremely happy with the part selection/ fitment. Trying to get my ducks in a row for spintron end of the month beginning of next...
Old 03-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

.937 Jesel Tall Body. 55mm cam 60mm barrel. Just over .800 lift. Got the block back last week mocked cam up. Everything is perfect on the oil side of things. Jesel moves the oil band on the lifter compared to a crower I did use Jesel bushings but they were solid and had to drill oil holes in them. I'm extremely happy with the part selection/ fitment. Trying to get my ducks in a row for spintron end of the month beginning of next...
Leave the oil plug out of the block look in to make sure the oil don't shut off going to the next lifter. And make sure the oil don't pour out the bottom from the axel going into the oil feed. Mine did so I have to put the bushings in from dart to fix it. Hope your good.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Leave the oil plug out of the block look in to make sure the oil don't shut off going to the next lifter. And make sure the oil don't pour out the bottom from the axel going into the oil feed. Mine did so I have to put the bushings in from dart to fix it. Hope your good.
First thing I checked. Everything works perfect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.