Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Dropping some weight on a HP500 carb? >

Dropping some weight on a HP500 carb?

Notices

Dropping some weight on a HP500 carb?

Old 12-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Heres some weights I found. All listed with bravo drive package.

350 MAG MPI = 1025lbs

454 MAG MPI= 1177lbs

502 MAG MPI= 1189lbs

So, lets say you have a difference of 165lbs between the 502 mag, and 350 mag. Now you put aluminum heads on the BB, and lose 70 lbs. Then, you install aluminum exhaust manifolds, and lose another 70lbs. Now, your real close to the weight between the two.

With that being said, 165lbs really isnt much. People act like a small block is several hundred pounds lighter. Like its some paperweight compared to the big block. In a strip car, that may be alot, in a boat, I wouldnt EVER trade off the minimal weight savings, for the power production and powerband of a big block. Probably why I'd be 95% of the boats on oso have big blocks in them.

For chits and giggles, go throw a few sandbags in the bilge of your boat, and do a back to back run with and without them. See how it feels. I'll bet you wont feel much of a change in handling or performance. But strap in a big block making an extra 150ft lbs or HP, and I bet you'll be grinning from ear to ear. The power gain will more than offset the weight difference. The added power will make the boat feel much lighter. I know at 60mph my boat feels like a tank. At 90mph, it feels like a sports car. A simple change in prop style can easily lift the extra 165lbs off the stern, or vice versa.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aluminum heads, intake, exhaust will shave off huge weight..... I used 496 aluminum exhaust with SS risers and those alone compared to cast iron manifolds and risers will save you at least 100lbs..... With aluminum heads and intake as well I had to convert to closed cooling as I am in salt water so there is some weight added back in for the heat exchanger but it's minimal compare to even one cast iron riser..... I figure my 502 weighs 250 less than an original factory setup. My 26ZX sits very high in the back as a result and I am having an issue with getting the bow to come up and ounce on top of he water..... It rides kinda flat even trimmed up but it is very smooth and stable...... Build up a fairly mild 540 that runs good on 87 octane and makes over 600HP all day long without even berthing hard..... Use as much aluminum as You can on the engine and you can have big, reliable power with fret handling...... Go for it!
Old 12-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My 350 in a 206 formula has stainless marine exhaust and aluminum intake, 125 pounds lighter on the back. I took the 125 pounder platform off and it had trouble carrying the bow and would blow out at speed. Bigger diameter prop fixed it but is 1-2mph slower now.

My point is all boats react differently, but you may find you actually like a little more weight in the back.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:44 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by DjMikeyC
All stock except for edelbrock performer EPS aluminum intake, still has iron heads and stock exhaust, the iron log manifolds. Circa 1981. Was thinking about an intake, cam, aluminum head and aftermarket exhaust rebuild on the small block but now and considering a HP500 since a few have come up for sale. but wanna see how close I can get the weight.
I'd be all over the HP500...assuming you have a Bravo drive.

The aluminum manifolds are 80+lbs lighter than the cast iron stockers.
edit in: Oh, you asked and no one came out and said exactly, the HP500 stock came with Gill Aluminum exhaust manifolds and stainless risers.

Speaking of which, you'll need to move the exhaust holes in the transom.

Anyhow, a 24X7 (as others are saying) is begging for a big block. A HP500 (stock) will make a massive difference in your boat. 500cid vs 350cid....nothing to think about there.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 589 Likes on 240 Posts

Kind of the same line of thinking I was having for my 19 footer.

I currently have a mild built 355 sbc with CMIs that is maybe at most 325 horse.The only real money I have in it is the exhaust the crank is cast and the heads are just some opened up stocks with 202.

So last month when you were seeing running BB 420s for sale all over here for cheap it got my thinking . Why not sell my running sbc for 800 and try to get enough money out of my CMI to buy a nice set of BB stainless marines.
Than buy a used runnung 420 and just do a budget refresh on it and have an easy reliable 420 horse instead having to get into some expenses to build a winding stroker sbc that would need some real heads to achieve that power and would be at the limit of its potential where the 420 with some heads or a blower or both could be in the 500 to 600s.

The extra weight is nothing as I hold 55 gallons of fuel just leave out a few.

Last edited by tommymonza; 12-14-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
My 350 in a 206 formula has stainless marine exhaust and aluminum intake, 125 pounds lighter on the back. I took the 125 pounder platform off and it had trouble carrying the bow and would blow out at speed. Bigger diameter prop fixed it but is 1-2mph slower now.

My point is all boats react differently, but you may find you actually like a little more weight in the back.
Very interesting.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If he has Bravo's already - will need to change the gear ratios and if he has alpha's then he needs bravos in which will add some weight back to the mix along with extra cost of all of that..