Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
blowing the breaker on port motor?? >

blowing the breaker on port motor??

Notices

blowing the breaker on port motor??

Old 09-02-2002, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default blowing the breaker on port motor??

Coming home from pelee this morning bright and early in 4 ft rollers and my port motor just dies. Ends up main circuit breaker has kicked out, I check all wires, leads, connections, and can't seem to find the problem. I've unhooked alternator wire, tested all main leads to see if grounding out and nothing. Once back to dock was able to fire motor up-- ran, but had problems drawing way too much juice and popping breaker again while turning over. could it be the starter motor going bad and grounding out somehow?? this would make sense to me while trying to start but while underway? what would make it ground out and throw breaker. I pretty sure no mechanical problems with engine, both have been running strong. I'm going to pull both starters and have them gone through just to be sure what they are. The only other thing that i can think of is the solenoids. Any other ideas??
Old 09-02-2002, 05:52 PM
FindMe

Question How about something as simple as...

A bad breaker? Breakers pop when something draws excessive current, are you sure the suspect breaker is able to carry the load it's rated to carry? If you don't have the means to check the current draw, switching, or replacing the breaker might be a cheaper, easy way to know what direction to head rather than to rebuild things you haven't confirmed as being bad...

Old 09-02-2002, 05:58 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you look for wires that may have worn through the harness and insulation and shorting out on the block? Maybe a pinched wire some were???

Jon