Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
good rockers for 6000 rpm, 540CI combo?? >

good rockers for 6000 rpm, 540CI combo??

Notices

good rockers for 6000 rpm, 540CI combo??

Old 01-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I am probably going with new heads set up by Bob M..... I know they will be right..and worse case mine were redone last summer totally also and mine are good, but want a better head.
I think we all want better head Tim!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
That's because on average a rebuilt engine never gets more than 500 hrs or 20,000 miles. Show me a stock automotive application with aluminum rockers.
it would be a miracle if I went 500 hours with no issues... haha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
I think we all want better head Tim!
for sure!!!
Old 01-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Why don`t they use Stainless and extend the service interval?
I'd bet cost. That and the aluminum service interval probably falls in line with the rest of the valvetrain service schedule.
Also, not all steel rocker arms are stainless steel.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

at mercury it,s all about the money.the engineer,s get out voted by the bean counters.they just need to get past the warranty,after that you are on your own.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I get that.
Pro stock is a completely different animal. I'm sure they cycle those arms out after a few passes.
This is an endurance application.
Actually they go a whole season on a set. American Lemans runs 24 hours with aluminum then the motors get pulled and go an the dyno for 24 hours. Then the motors went into a boat and have 60 hours on them in the boat. With titanium valves and 7000 rpm might I add.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Actually they go a whole season on a set. American Lemans runs 24 hours with aluminum then the motors get pulled and go an the dyno for 24 hours. Then the motors went into a boat and have 60 hours on them in the boat. With titanium valves and 7000 rpm might I add.
Are you of the opinion that steel arms aren't superior to aluminum or just pointing out that aluminum arms work as well?
I was counceled to scrap my jesel arms ( that appear to be in perfect condition ) as I'm not the original owner and cannot quantify the time on them.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you of the opinion that steel arms aren't superior to aluminum or just pointing out that aluminum arms work as well?
I was counceled to scrap my jesel arms ( that appear to be in perfect condition ) as I'm not the original owner and cannot quantify the time on them.
My point is aluminum works fine it's just not going to work as long as a steel arm will. The nice thing about the Jesel stuff is if you get a Jesel dealer to send them to Jesel the will put them on a spintron. If there is any less tolerance than the were new they will tell you. The really cool thing is they don't charge you to do this if sent in by a dealer. My opinion is Jesel's quality is far superior than anyone else. The Jesel Pro steel shafts come in at almost 4g's but they are an awesome piece. To rich for my blood.

I think if the guy is straped for money telling him he has to have steel rockers is the wrong advise. Spend the money on the valve springs where it really counts and run it for a season with what you got the throw some different rocker arms on it. A lot easier swapping rockers in the boat than valve springs. Just my .02
Old 01-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Black Baja
My point is aluminum works fine it's just not going to work as long as a steel arm will. The nice thing about the Jesel stuff is if you get a Jesel dealer to send them to Jesel the will put them on a spintron. If there is any less tolerance than the were new they will tell you. The really cool thing is they don't charge you to do this if sent in by a dealer. My opinion is Jesel's quality is far superior than anyone else. The Jesel Pro steel shafts come in at almost 4g's but they are an awesome piece. To rich for my blood.

I think if the guy is straped for money telling him he has to have steel rockers is the wrong advise. Spend the money on the valve springs where it really counts and run it for a season with what you got the throw some different rocker arms on it. A lot easier swapping rockers in the boat than valve springs. Just my .02
That's why I posted the link to the 300 dollar pro magnum jobs. I certainly wouldn't spend the money on a dart block bottom end and then top it off with a mismatched set of used aluminum arms that can not be quantified.
"Pay me now or pay me exponentially later", comes to mind.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I certainly wouldn't spend the money on a dart block bottom end and then top it off with a mismatched set of used aluminum arms that can not be quantified.
Exactly, rockers are being replaced NO MATTER what I do....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.