Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 rebuild with blower... Pistons and clearances. >

454 rebuild with blower... Pistons and clearances.

Notices

454 rebuild with blower... Pistons and clearances.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Not sure what youre paying per piston, but it may be worthwhile to just replace the entire set of 8 and be done .
Old 01-22-2015, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Considering that I'd have to rebalance everything with a new set (the 2399F piston is heavier), this is probably the better way to go.

Last edited by TomZ; 01-22-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I had an oso member who's in the process of building a similar 525sc type of build, tell me the 305 AFR's were too big for this build that made 667ft lbs and 691hp . He is going with the Afr 265 ovals on his 525sc build up. It be interesting to see the results of that build. Has anyone done a build like this with those heads ?
You are obviously referring to me by this post, and I didn't exactly say that the 305's were "too big", I did ask the reason why you guys really wanted to use the 305's (which was never answered), and that 305 is a big head for a 454, which it is. I never said it was too big.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
The wise owl usually adds the factual information.this inquisitive bird is thirsty for the info.
Please elaborate what you are looking for here? Cause I am interpreting this as a challenge to Bob, and the reason I interpret it this way is cause I may know more about this scenario then an outsider looking in.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ealesh33
You are obviously referring to me by this post, and I didn't exactly say that the 305's were "too big", I did ask the reason why you guys really wanted to use the 305's (which was never answered), and that 305 is a big head for a 454, which it is. I never said it was too big.
I think the thing here, is define too big? Is there a more optimal head out there, I am sure there is. Will the 265 AFR on a build like this thread, make more power, I dont know. Thats why I asked.

Alot of guys here like to talk engines, and criticize others builds. Mike Tkach and I, try to post up data (dyno sheets), in an effort to give something to compare to. No chest thumping, just a couple guys who like talking shop.

My 468's made 800HP and 736FT lbs with 6lbs of boost. With a 308cc cylinder head. Would me bolting on a 275cc cylinder head have made 830HP, and 766ft lbs, I dont know. What I do know, is Mike Tkach's build in this thread, and my engines, made exceptional power for what they consist of.

The reason we, or should I say Mike, wanted to use the 305's? Well, for starters, the engine has a rectangle port blower intake. Secondly, mike witnessed what kind of power my engines made with a 308CC rectangle port, and many other similar builds he has done over the years. Sometimes you kinda lean towards what you know works, especially when you're spending other peoples money. 691HP and 660+ ft lbs of torque with a tiny blower on a 454 making 4lbs of boost, is hardly a bad combination.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 01-22-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Registered

Please elaborate what you are looking for here? Cause I am interpreting this as a challenge to Bob, and the reason I interpret it this way is cause I may know more about this scenario then an outsider looking in.
I dont think anyone is challenging Bob. I've known Bob's capabilites, and seen him work his magic, for the past 11 years I have been here. I've had many conversations with Bob, and also have learned quite a bit from him. I also helped put Mike Tkach in touch with Bob in the last year. Mike has been building engines since the 80's with no help from anyone, including some big blown akly drag boat engines making gobs of power. Mike has the upmost respect for bob's knowledge, and has now used his camshaft's on the last few builds, as well as purchased heads from him. I think Mike Tkach can attest to my opinion of Bob, both as an engine guru, and as a person, and we both think highly of him.

So again, I dont think anyone here is challenging anyone. But, if we are going to criticize, or make suggestions on what works better, please, lets provide some data on HOW it did work better, not why is SHOULD work better. There are some guys here, that read this stuff, and invest money based on what they read here.

You contacted me for some thoughts on hopping up your engine. Which I tried to share some of my experiances with you. You have a 454 based engine, I have a 454 based engine. You have a 177 blower, I had a 177 blower, I have ran these engines for 7 years, with various combinations of blowers, tune's, etc, with a dyno sheet as well. These engines have never holed a piston, tuliped a valve, spun a bearing, or anything like that. I can only offer the advice based on what I learned, or experianced, when changing from this to that.

I was being honestly curious, if anyone has done a comparable build with the smaller oval ports in a forced induction application. Not because I am trying to prove they are not, but prove that maybe they are. I know what the rectangles can do, it be nice to see what the ovals can do as well.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:51 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

305's and 265's have the same exhaust port ? IE: Identical exhaust port ?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I highly doubt given all things the same cubic inch, rpm, boost, cam and compression going from a 265 to a 305 there will be any measurable between the two.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I think the thing here, is define too big? Is there a more optimal head out there, I am sure there is. Will the 265 AFR on a build like this thread, make more power, I dont know. Thats why I asked.

Alot of guys here like to talk engines, and criticize others builds. Mike Tkach and I, try to post up data (dyno sheets), in an effort to give something to compare to. No chest thumping, just a couple guys who like talking shop.

My 468's made 800HP and 736FT lbs with 6lbs of boost. With a 308cc cylinder head. Would me bolting on a 275cc cylinder head have made 830HP, and 766ft lbs, I dont know. What I do know, is Mike Tkach's build in this thread, and my engines, made exceptional power for what they consist of.

The reason we, or should I say Mike, wanted to use the 305's? Well, for starters, the engine has a rectangle port blower intake. Secondly, mike witnessed what kind of power my engines made with a 308CC rectangle port, and many other similar builds he has done over the years. Sometimes you kinda lean towards what you know works, especially when you're spending other peoples money. 691HP and 660+ ft lbs of torque with a tiny blower on a 454 making 4lbs of boost, is hardly a bad combination.
No one said your combination was bad, I was just asking a question just like you are here. Dyno results aren't really hard data, and in no way can you compare a single component on 2 builds that have many differences (cubic inches, compression ratio, cam profile, and heads). There are soo many variables that can effect dyno results the only true way to really compare is on the same day, same motor, same dyno, same dyno settings, same builder, and same dyno operator switch the part and re run.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

What i am looking for is results from the build.nothing more.if you have the results please post them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.