marine jobs?

Notices

marine jobs?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Really do not know how to write this other than saying - Out in the boating public I do not have a huge a name but in certain marine industries I have a huge name. On the marine technicians side, I am involved with a lot going on within that mainstream of the industry as a whole. I have made friends with a lot of the OEM engines manufacturers plus we talk shop all the time at least weekly thru out the year.

Our work force in general does not have a great record to chose from and in the marine side it is 100 ten times worse. All the skilled labor is getting older including myself to crawl all over / around boats plus your old school craftsmanship hands on employee is not common like it use to be.

The Marine trade schools basically are a huge joke and very rarely produce a skilled marine tech. (MMI, Wyo-tech and a few others). The current marine technology that is coming about is changing very quickly and needs skilled trained personal to set it up, work on, fix and make newer advancements. This field is wide open and someone could write their own ticket. I wish I was younger to specialize in this.

The Marine OEM's know this and plus the know they will be in huge trouble down the road because they have no gene pool to pull from to even work on the stuff that is currently out on the market. We talk about this all the time, more so now than ever. Soon even outboard marine engines will have catalyst convertors in them just for an example of whats coming down the pipe.

What a young person needs to do is specialize in one or a couple of fields of this current tech and stay with it, plus keeping up with the changes & advancements. You can not specialize in all marine related engines and electronics as it would be impossible to keep up with everything. Pick a segment of it and learn it forward and backwards. IMO you might be able to write your ticket down the road.
Excellent advice. The marine industry is not as bad as some of these posters make it out to be. I've been doing this for over 40 years, made a great living but in all honesty I've been mostly self employed. I agree the trade schools are a huge waste of money, I've hired guys from local schools that spent over 20 grand and couldn't tell an Alpha from a Bravo drive. When I got out of the Navy I went to Merc outboard school in New Brunswick NJ, that was 1973. Lots of guys my age and lots of older guys. 20 years later going to Merc school everyone was my age. Never see any younger guys there anymore. But if you're good and specialize in one field you can make money, even start your own business. The problems with the marinas today is they only want to pay one tech top pay, then hire a bunch of trainees. When I worked in a marina in South Jersey in the 70's we had 6 certified mechanics. 30 years later they had 1 but charge the same labor rate regardless of who works on the boat.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

BUP and Bowtie make some great points and it sounds like they are in the industry. I hate to discourage anyone from doing what they like, or are passionate about, but working on boats 24/7 is no fun. Maybe find a local boat yard to work at this summer and get some first hand experience. I know my local yard has to fly someone in every-time they have prep a new boat with the Volvo reverse drives and the Volvo IPX system, nobody their has a clue how to set it up.. Things are getting more and more complex, that is true and what they are telling you is very good advise.

I would also have to agree with then in that everyone is old. At the yards that I go to, the youngest guy is 43.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Go into the building and design side rather than repairs. More interesting, more money. Get a degree in engineering or design.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have a better chance of earning a good living on the commercial marine side of the business vs the pleasure boat side. I work in the commercial marine industry and have an engineering degree from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy and an MBA from the University of Iowa. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Its a job that everyone thinks they can do but few can.