Ring end gaps >

Ring end gaps

Notices

Ring end gaps

Old 02-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Got it Joe. Thanks! The oil thermostat set up is on my shopping list.
Originally Posted by adk61
no visible issues...
Considering these engines have been supercharged since 1999, I am fine running without them. Mercury marine, general motors, ran without them. Not saying it's wrong to run them, as if I wasn't so lazy I would be.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by adk61
Yes Mild... think about it... when you have lets say a 454 with a bore of 4.310 for eg, the cylinder wall thickness (thinner) will have a significant effect on (friction surface temp) the wall's ability to cool... as opposed to lets say a dart/merlin 4.500 bore (thicker sleeve) temp is stable all around the bore and cools evenly and effectively... if I'm understanding your statement correctly???
Yes big Al you hit it. My concern was thermal expansion as well as the rigidity of the bore itself say at 6000rpm boosted in a production non siamese bore block. Or should I say the bores ability to maintain its shape as it would be when fitting rings on the stand fresh out the machine shop. Is that a valid concern ?
Old 02-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

dumping a small amount of water on a siamesed block prevents steam pockets in the rear of the block,if that happens the steam will not let the water flow through the block.i see no reason to dump from the back of the block on a standard 454 block.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Registered

When I tapped mine for dumps, I mainly did it to bleed off some excessive water pressure . I felt dumping it there was better than dumping it prior to the engine .
Old 02-23-2015, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not the block that gets the steam pockets it's the head. I've tested back to back dumping water out the back of the intake/ blocked off. Absolutely no difference in temp either way. This was with a Dart block. After thinking about it I would have to say that if you pull water from the back of the intake (create a short circuit in the cooling system) it would be more prone to getting steam pockets in the head than if it was blocked off. I can tell you this from experimenting that introducing cold water to the back of the intake drastically reduces detonation. If you look at some of the high dollar cylinder heads out there now they have a manifold made into the back of the head...
Old 02-23-2015, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I don't run any water thermostats. My water temp coming out of my block is never more than 110*. Water going in is between 60-70 deg.

I used to run water dumps off the rear off my intakes when I had 250 blowers. When I switched to the 420 blowers I didn't drill and tap the intakes. I've been running it that way for about 100 hours now with no issues.
We haven't seen any issues running this way on the 460/B&M 250 equipped engines in the Cigarette either. One engine with well over 100 hours, and the other with between 80 and 100 hours, though these are not wild engines by any means (575 HP give or take a few).
Old 02-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Considering these engines have been supercharged since 1999, I am fine running without them. Mercury marine, general motors, ran without them. Not saying it's wrong to run them, as if I wasn't so lazy I would be.
If I was only doing the top end and didn't have the engine out of the boat, I'd probably be going that direction myself. It just makes sense to me to do it since it's all apart. Just my take on it though.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rmbuilder
Tom,

Understood. My question was intended to determine the temperature differential, from max to min, in various areas of the block. Based on that information, running an open bore block, seeing potential 60 º min. water temp and a max bore coolant temp of 160º, I would suggest you open the gaps from .003"-.004" to compensate for the lowest internal temp.

The concept of thermal stabilization is a worthwhile conversation (for another thread), however i do not want to derail your inquiry for a viable answer to your question.

Bob
Thanks Bob! I'm all set now.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When I tapped mine for dumps, I mainly did it to bleed off some excessive water pressure . I felt dumping it there was better than dumping it prior to the engine .
STD 454 block isn't likely to steam pocket around the rear, however bleeding a small potion off still helps even out the overall temp front to rear just my opinion... and we all know what that means!! there's another azzhole on the board!! lmfao
Old 02-24-2015, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While on the subject of engine cooling and hot spots.....How many engines have ever been built by GM, Mercuruiser or Mercury Racing without circulating pumps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.