Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Identify these steering rams >

Identify these steering rams

Notices

Identify these steering rams

Old 02-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Go to a hydraulic shop. I had my trims leaking, guy claimed it took a special tool, blah, blah blah! Charged me $300 for both + $250 for the special tool he had to buy. (plus shipping back and forth)

One Leaked a year later, took it apart myself, no special tools needed! All the Seals, Orings and shaft scraper are off the shelf---$11.50 per cylinder!!! I carry an extra set in my tool bag!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Not sure what brand the rams are, but the geometry of the install looks terrible.
What Grff said! The rams need to be mounted to the transom, with the transom mounts pivot point parallel to the center of the gimbal pivot point. If not when the drive is trimmed up it will try to push the ram back into the cylinder. 2 things will result. 1. It will blow the seals out of the ram. 2. It will bend the cylinder rod. I have seen it happen. Cylinder rods are not cheap and hard to straighten.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also very hard on the gimbal ring.