Water / Meth. Injection >

Water / Meth. Injection

Notices

Water / Meth. Injection

Old 03-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Bawana
abones I would love to hear more about that setup you ran... I can't fit inner coolers & I won't do the Whipple ones.. So that being said I would love to use a set up like you mentioned, sounds like a great way to go
Sure! I will look for my old boat file on the Checkmate and get as much vender (tank and solenoid) info together for you and go over the installation. I will be gone for the next two weeks with company work stuff (Starting Thursday if I can shake this flu) but I will PM you upon my return.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool thanks abones
Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried it in my boat, twin turbo diesels.

Water alone only lowered EGT, no power or mpg improvement.

50/50 gave a noticeable boost in power, same reduction in EGT, and a significant reduction in diesel consumption. However the actual costs per mile are higher as methanol is expensive. I decided to take it out, but I have been thinking about putting it back in and using the forward fuel tank (47 gal) as my water/meth tank, or installing a 20 gallon tank for 50/50 mix. I can put a tee in my freshwater tank outlet line if I want water only that tank is 40 gallons so it will last 3 hours at cruising speeds. The thing is that i only need the EGT reduction at WOT. I am around 1200 degrees wide open 56-58mph, but if I back off to 50 mph my EGT drops to 950 or so.

It would be nice to have the extra power on demand to get into the 60's but I hate to ruin an engine for a few mph. I have the Snow performance generic kit with the controller and a bunch of nozzles, if someone wanted to buy it to try out. I think it would be complete waste for an NA engine, unless it had some crazy setup.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
snow performance but IMO the supply tank would not be big enough to support a whole day on the water, I could be wrong.
you are correct feeding two engines that tiny tank that comes with the kit lasts minutes, you have to use a larger tank.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abones
I ran water/alcohol, injection back in 1988 on a non intercooled small roots blower set up, I had a 3 gallon tank that was pressurized by the blower. Had a solenoid that would open at 2lbs of boost activated by a hobbs switch in the intake manifold. so once I got the nozzles sized correctly, the system was on autopilot! more boost made more pressure in the tank, and more water introduced to the intake system. it would take weeks to empty the tank, and you could experiment and make any "cocktail" to inject. I had great results with distilled water and isopropyl alcohol. mainly used to fight detonation because I have always tried to run as much timing on the big end as was safe. this helped. also had a 150 shot of NOS at the time as well. 6 valve mechanical fuel pump supplied more than enough fuel when "on the button" spark plugs were two heat ranges colder that the stock 43s. Just an FYI.
Same set up i ran .i just didnt have the nads to admit it . Remember trying to find distilled water and 90% in the boonies back in the day.i ran a bladder tank that was pressurized ,enderle barrell valve controlled the flow..knew a guy ran a similar system on a turbo gs1100 .really helped him too
Old 03-04-2015, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
I tried it in my boat, twin turbo diesels.

Water alone only lowered EGT, no power or mpg improvement.

50/50 gave a noticeable boost in power, same reduction in EGT, and a significant reduction in diesel consumption. However the actual costs per mile are higher as methanol is expensive. I decided to take it out, but I have been thinking about putting it back in and using the forward fuel tank (47 gal) as my water/meth tank, or installing a 20 gallon tank for 50/50 mix. I can put a tee in my freshwater tank outlet line if I want water only that tank is 40 gallons so it will last 3 hours at cruising speeds. The thing is that i only need the EGT reduction at WOT. I am around 1200 degrees wide open 56-58mph, but if I back off to 50 mph my EGT drops to 950 or so.
It would be nice to have the extra power on demand to get into the 60's but I hate to ruin an engine for a few mph. I have the Snow performance generic kit with the controller and a bunch of nozzles, if someone wanted to buy it to try out. I think it would be complete waste for an NA engine, unless it had some crazy setup.
So why not just run straight water injection? It will cool the IAT and EGT significantly and be cheap to run. In your case there's no need to run any meth.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Registered

Without methanol injection and just using air-to-air intercooler I saw 60 to 70°F increase in intake air during an 1/8 mile pass.
With methanol injection the intake air temperature only increased by 10° during either 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile passes.

SO i would think in the Constant heat soaked bildge, and solid RPMs it would help alot.

Meth is not to pricy, 5 gallons VP meth is 24 bucks here.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
So why not just run straight water injection? It will cool the IAT and EGT significantly and be cheap to run. In your case there's no need to run any meth.
because at anything except WOT lowering my EGT by 30 or 40 degrees is irrelevant. It does nothing for me. Those engines will run for thousands of hours in the 950 degree EGT range, I don't gain anything by lowering it 40 degrees except another system to maintain on the boat. It doesn't give any additional HP or MPG water alone. Yes for when I want to run wide open it would give me a little extra safety net, but I don't feel it is worth having the system installed just for that.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mittens
Without methanol injection and just using air-to-air intercooler I saw 60 to 70°F increase in intake air during an 1/8 mile pass.
With methanol injection the intake air temperature only increased by 10° during either 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile passes.

SO i would think in the Constant heat soaked bildge, and solid RPMs it would help alot.

Meth is not to pricy, 5 gallons VP meth is 24 bucks here.

Ok so that is 50% more expensive than diesel fuel. So at 50 mph hr cruise I burn 25 gph. About 7 of those gallons would get displaced by the 50/50 water meth mixture which would be 3.5 gallons of meth. So it works out to $81.25/hr diesel only, and $75.30/hr diesel and 50/50. Small savings for all that aggravation and the hassle of going and getting the meth and adding it to the tank 5 gallons at a time, mixing with water ect. I have to check the prices here locally again maybe it has gotten cheaper but last time I checked it was more expensive not cheaper. Diesel at the marina is currently $3.25.

Where do you buy it from up there? When I search online I see it for $45 and $50 for 5 gallons for VP M1.

Also if you have proper airflow in your bilge that heat soaked thing is a myth. I have temp sensors on the supply and return fuel lines and fuel temp only goes up 10-15 degrees passing through the engines. Actually the fuel in the tank gets warmed up about 20 degrees on a long trip even with a full tank. That costs about 10hp per motor.

Last edited by pstorti; 03-04-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Registered

I was told that the snow meth inj mix is nothing more than the blue windshield washer fluid, if that is true I would think it would be cheap to run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.