What's wrong with AFR's exhaust port? >

What's wrong with AFR's exhaust port?

Notices

What's wrong with AFR's exhaust port?

Old 03-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
bb,i think top fuel is 500 inch limit unless they changed it.the nitro engine gets by with the smaller port because the nitro methane has it,s own oxygen,not relyant on oxygen from the air.i believe they only run the nitro engines to around 8000 rpm.
And the fuel introduced into the cylinder, is nearly 90% liquid state, 10% vapor. The reason they run so much lead, is they have to light that charge off very early to get the explosion of the vapor to burn all that fuel. Crazy stuff. One cylinder worth of fuel consumption on 1 pass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQuhhluY
Old 03-03-2015, 05:40 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

bb,i think top fuel is 500 inch limit unless they changed it.the nitro engine gets by with the smaller port because the nitro methane has it,s own oxygen,not relyant on oxygen from the air.i believe they only run the nitro engines to around 8000 rpm.
Very different as they run enough fuel on the verge of hydrolocking. Fuel takes up air space. And yes, they run massive amt of air thru the blower too. So I've heard, obviously I have no hands on with this.

I have not read about port sizing...I would think it would be very large cross sectional area with all that fuel and air. If you have a link I would love to read about it...very fascinationg stuff of course.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rail 500" Funny Car 525"

They have injectors in the hat as well as in the cylinder. Really the only way to make BIG power is to run a dry port and inject into the cylinder. It's funny I was just having a conversation with someone about direct injection. I had some experience with a motor in the past that couldn't make any power injected on alcohol (wet runner) wouldn't go over 1300hp. Injector went in the trash for some out of the box gas Quick Fuels and it went over 1600 first hit on the dyno. This was a N/a billet headed deal.

Last edited by Black Baja; 03-03-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
You know I was thinking about your previous post and about using the larger than optimal intake port and how it you said it still makes good power with the right blower what Darin said about the Pro-mod engines. You know top fuel is the limit. There is nothing more powerful. They run a 525ci motor. About 2 years ago I was in a friend shop and he said let me show you something (it was a top fuel head) I checked that thing out from top to bottom. I couldn't believe how small the ports were I mean with that kind of power and boost I would think you would be able to drive a tractor trailor through them. Surely not. I've worked on Nitrous Pro-Mod stuff been elbow deep in the motors I know what kind of port it takes to support 865ci and 9000rpm (tractor fits). But the top fuel stuff is small. I guess the theory of sizing the port to the cubic inch and rpm applies no matter what's on top of it or what kind of fuel its burning.
I have always been amazed at what a good cyl head man can do to get the most out of your individual motor with the combination of parts, CR, and induction. each engine has different flow requirements. I always enjoy talking with Steve Sanchez at (Total Flow Products) about the latest in technology when I drop off or pick up my heads from him. He freshens up my heads every 3 seasons as PM. he does top fuel, top alcohol. I would recommend him to any serious engine enthusiast! his mentor Warren (Butch) Elkins ported my heads 15 years ago and Steve has been updating them since. These guys are worth the money in my opinion!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Rail 500" Funny Car 525"

They have injectors in the hat as well as in the cylinder. Really the only way to make BIG power is to run a dry port and inject into the cylinder. It's funny I was just having a conversation with someone about direct injection. I had some experience with a motor in the past that couldn't make any power injected on alcohol (wet runner) wouldn't go over 1300hp. Injector went in the trash for some out of the box gas Quick Fuels and it went over 1600 first hit on the dyno. This was a N/a billet headed deal.
just fyi,the nhra rulebook sais top fuel&funny car min cu in 490-max 500.from the 2014-2015 rulebook.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just fyi,the nhra rulebook sais top fuel&funny car min cu in 490-max 500.from the 2014-2015 rulebook.
I could be going off of 20 years ago :-)
Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
The pro comp head can be worked to flow good numbers.

IMO the cheap casting can not reliably handle a lot of power though.

Even with the best parts installed, shaft rockers etc, the casting will fail.
Thats why I sold mine, I spent 2600.00 making them right, was worried about durability in the casting at 650 plus HP, so I sold them.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537975[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537976[/ATTACH] was chatting with my buddy Jeff Arend this am and he confirmed what the scoop is in Fuel Funny Car ... 8500rpm at the hit and on a good run 81-8250 out the traps ... 500 cubic inch limit 1000' track
Attached Thumbnails What's wrong with AFR's exhaust port?-jeff-arend-1.jpg   What's wrong with AFR's exhaust port?-jeff-arend-2.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537977[/ATTACH] this was me back in the early 90's falshback Thursday!! sorry for the sidetrack guys... Funny Car topic made me stray!!!
Attached Thumbnails What's wrong with AFR's exhaust port?-10258861_10151979490500496_1480326377426468253_o.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 06:09 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Someday in the future , a man like myself that is researching Air Flow Research heads in particular the 315's for his build , needs to see these pics . Got a present from Marine Kinetics today and took these pics straight out of the shipping box . A picture does speak a thousand words !!! Straight down the exhaust port with an Inconal Tulip Valve at the bottom .

Combustion chamber almost looks hand polished .

Intake side of things .

And I wanted to add that only a top notch company would package their product in such a manner to protect it from careless UPS employees . The damage shown here would have surely resulted in a damaged aluminum head .

Last edited by the deep; 03-05-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.