Notices

Oil temps

Old 09-06-2002, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil temps

Here's a subject i've never seen brought up before....

When any of you guys switched from reg to synthetic oil, did you notice any oil temp drop? I know when my buddy put Amsoil in his Harley, the oil temp dropped 20 degrees over the Harley brand oil. Just wondering if anybody else had experienced this on a boat. Also, what weight synthetic are you running to be sorta = to Mercruisers weird 25W-40?

Thanks.! hope i didn't open up something that's been beat to death already. Seems like synthetic oil is always a hot topic....
Old 09-15-2002, 06:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Oil temp changes.

Hey Madmax,
In our days of sponsoring an F-2 Hustler Slingshot, I switched the oil from Mercury to Royal Purple. In the engines we seen a gain of 100 rpm and a temp decrease of 40 degree's. In the drives we seen a temp change of 60 degrees less. The boat also picked up 2 mph just changing the oils over to Royal Purple. We also changed the power steering over and the trim pump fluids.

All I can say is the stuff works. I would have never believed it if I hadn't have done it.

Pwrbt33
Offshore Performance
Old 09-15-2002, 07:54 PM
envision

I have the opposite problem.

My 500EFI with the thermostatically controlled (?) oil cooler, has only rarely gotten to 190 and that is on a hot summer day with the water in the high 80's. Now that the water will be getting colder, the temps will just barely get above 140-145. I thought the gage was malfunctioning when I started boating in April when the water was cold.

Water can get up to 180 but usually is 165.

I have tried Valvoline Racing 20-50 and Mobil 1 15-50 and haven't noticed any temperature differences. Both turn black after just a few hours and I change it every 20.

Shouldn't it get around 200 degrees? I want to boat until the end of October but don't want to cause any engine problems.

Old 09-15-2002, 08:22 PM
Dennis Moore

Default Synthetic oils

I believe you when you say that the synthetic oils work really well! Can't afford it for myself though.
The oil should run hot enough to burn out the water condensation collecting inside the engine (at least 220 degrees). This isn't that big of a deal for an automotive engine but for a marine engine that will sit for weeks without being used, sometimes in a very humid environment, it can collect a lot of water condensation only to be washed into the oil pan as soon as the engine is started. If the oil temp can't get hot enough to burn out the water condensation you had better be changing the oil VERY regularly. Thats why I can't afford the good synthetic oil!

If you boat in cold water the oil cooler will really overcool the engines oil. You should probably use 15W40 multiviscosity Valvoline Fleet Oil or something similar (like what an automobile engine would use in the winter).
Sincerely
Dennis Moore

Old 09-16-2002, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! A reply from THE Dennis Moore on my lowly subject. Thanks.!

Thanks to everone else too.!