Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
anyone out there every get water in oil from exhaust sucking back?? >

anyone out there every get water in oil from exhaust sucking back??

Notices

anyone out there every get water in oil from exhaust sucking back??

Old 04-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just start taking it apart from the easiest. Cooler is like 2 bolts, if it's good move on to the next. Eventually you'll be down to the heads if u haven't found it by then. The best part is that if it's a piston or rings you'd have disassembled the whole engine in the boat when you could've just pulled it and done all that a little more comfortably.

Nothing beats pulling manifolds and heads cramped up in a tight engine compartment. Especially those big stock merc ones.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not what I meant to say

Last edited by BenPerfected; 04-02-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 04-02-2015, 06:33 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Sickrick -

You sure you are not having a condensation issue inside motor ?

Are you possibly getting backwash up the tailpipes of this motor ? IE: Flaps not working correctly or etc ?

Think doubly hard on any tiny thing that may be different between the two motors - tail height/rate of fall/flapper/ rigging, timing, how it runs , if the boat leans on trailer or on water, etc,etc,etc.

Originally Posted by turbom700
How is it even possible for water to get into the oil from the exhaust, I understand revision but that usally doesnt cause water in oil.

Op do you have a oil cooler by chance? Could this oil cooler have a crack in it?

If you had enough revision to get water in the oil I think you would have a very rough running motor at idle.

Just my 2 cents
More reversion the lower the rpm is. Shutting off engine will revert more. Just like extended cranking does.Not running, water can get past rings. Right ?
Old 04-02-2015, 07:35 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

You ever see the oil in a alcohol fueled race motor ? Ahhhhh yuk !
Old 04-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
More reversion the lower the rpm is. Shutting off engine will revert more. Just like extended cranking does.Not running, water can get past rings. Right ?
Water can sit in the cylinder for years and eating away at the walls until eventually welds the piston and rings to the walls before seeping thru into the oil pan. I opened a motor that was hydrolocked for years and the oil was still oil (not milky) but the cylinder looked like an exhaust manifold. I had to hone the cylinder and use a sledge hammer to get that piston out.

Long story short: I doubt the water is getting in thru the piston unless the piston or ring is broken.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I would pull the Intake Manifold Gasket and Oil Cooler, mine got water from an Intake Gasket failure.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
You can take a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't
you rather take the butcher's word for it? - Tommy Boy
I vote this one of the Top 10 OSO quotes of all time!! What are the other 9?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
I vote this one of the Top 10 OSO quotes of all time!! What are the other 9?
My buddy Tim (Baddog) came up with my favorite many years ago when I was considering keeping the Alpha on my boat with my new engine build and just trying to baby it. He said, "If you had a twelve inch dong, would you only use six inches of it?"
Old 04-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
You ever see the oil in a alcohol fueled race motor ? Ahhhhh yuk !
Gummy bears, lmao
Old 04-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Registered

ok first off thanks for all the suggestions/help.... I ended up pulling the motor to have it tested, yet thinking the block was cracked... this was after I pulled the heads and intake, had heads planed/ rebuilt, new gaskets every thing.... put it all back together and still leaking.... so I pulled it..

tested oil and trans cooler--- held 75psi no leaks

pressure tested block with heads and intake still on it right after I pulled the motor, just capped the water line from the cooler to the front tee on the block, then on the tee on the intake I plumbed up 2 hoses one on each side, one being capped and the other a cap with a valve stem in it, on the little nipple coming off the tee I even put a guage on that...
held 40psi for 10 mins

so this where I posted on here asking about the exhaust sucking back due to big cams or not.... I have old exhaust hardin p1000s that's my next move is to test those and the tailpipes....

this has def been an experience I don't want to go through again, yet I still haven't found the problem yet

STAY TUNED
I will keep you updated

thanks again RICK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.