rocker arm stud diflection >

rocker arm stud diflection

Notices

rocker arm stud diflection

Old 04-18-2015, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

That is a lot of deflection, if it really is bending the rocker arm stud. Did you say that this was not there before? Another possibility is the the threads on the nut are jacked, the nut could be cracked. inspect or broken parts 1st bed threads in the head. If nothing is found. Clay the gap between the nut and cover, pull off and check distance. Clay again but roll the motor over a couple of times. See if the clay smears. It the nut is touching the cover try bluing the cover and bolt cover down to see the interference pattern. Blue the cover again and roll motor over and check. If you don't have bluing dye I have used permanent black marker.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i noticed that the intake rockers are not the same as the exhaust rockers.is there a reason for that?
Old 04-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1.7 and 1.8 ratio. one set is SS the other is chrome molly.
Just thinking here. The cover is dented at the rub point. I wonder if the stud or the lock nut are bad and the cover is holding the nut on the stud when the lobe lifts the valve. Will have to turn it over without the cover on or see if the cover moves with it on but not bolted down.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are those pro 1 heads?
Old 04-18-2015, 08:49 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Possible the mark is from when the valve cover flexed/dented during install....and not rocker nut/stud flexing?
Old 04-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Registered

Yes they are Dart Pro 1's
Old 04-18-2015, 09:06 PM
Registered

Are you sure there isn't an issue with the rocker bosses. Those heads are notorious for that.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Registered

If memory serves me the studs had longer threads on the head side to counter that. BUT I will check for a loose stud in the boss. If it deflected that much I would think that it would have ran off the head of the valve stem.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Are you sure there isn't an issue with the rocker bosses. Those heads are notorious for that.
i have used a lot of pro1 heads through the years and never had a problem with the stud bosses.if the geomitry is wrong or the valve train is unstable you can damage any brand of head.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i have used a lot of pro1 heads through the years and never had a problem with the stud bosses.if the geomitry is wrong or the valve train is unstable you can damage any brand of head.
The head has issues. It's not a myth. When you use a rocker arm the geometry is always wrong that's why there is a pattern/ sweep. What's your point? You walk on water. Have a magic wand you can wave over a valve train and it becomes perfect. Not sure what you are getting at. I on the other hand was simply trying to give the OP I different idea than what was posted by others as what to look for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.