Swim Platform Material >

Swim Platform Material

Notices

Swim Platform Material

Old 04-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swim Platform Material

Considering fabricating a swim platform from King Starboard or a similar material. Anyone have any experience with using this material?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I've used it for a few things, nothing that had to support much weight though. I made a passenger side foot rest and some trim rings for my speakers. The foot rest had some aluminum angle iron and wood as part of the project. The starboard will have some flex to it if it is a long piece. You might be able to use it for the top side, then use metal brackets underneath.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by hadleycat
Considering fabricating a swim platform from King Starboard or a similar material. Anyone have any experience with using this material?
Make me one while you are at it! haha. I hate our ugly textured fiberglass platforms.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Make me one while you are at it! haha. I hate our ugly textured fiberglass platforms.
No problem, I am having mine cut on our Cnc router at work. I could easily cut two.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Registered

My main concern is how stiff the material is. It looks like the professionals go with 2 layers of 3/4" material. I found a couple sheets at work today so I will do some testing tomorrow
Old 04-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by hadleycat
My main concern is how stiff the material is. It looks like the professionals go with 2 layers of 3/4" material. I found a couple sheets at work today so I will do some testing tomorrow
I have been kicking the same idea around. please keep us posted with pics. I'm not a 100% certain where my exhaust is gonna exit the transome/deck so I'm holding off a week or two but would really like to get things in order. I had thought about aluminum.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress.

John
Old 04-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

We use TONS of the stuff where I work at Tiara Yachts. You can get it in 1-1/2" thick, but it's pretty pricey and very heavy. You can also get it with an antislip surface texture on it. We use that on our big tournament fishing boats.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spazboz
We use TONS of the stuff where I work at Tiara Yachts. You can get it in 1-1/2" thick, but it's pretty pricey and very heavy. You can also get it with an antislip surface texture on it. We use that on our big tournament fishing boats.
I bet you use louon also.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Registered

Saw this online
Attached Thumbnails Swim Platform Material-image.jpg   Swim Platform Material-image.jpg  
Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spazboz
Very cool! I am thinking I am go into use 2 layers of 3/4" because thats what we have laying around our shop. The bottom layer I plan on cutting some strategically located lightening holes in it. My support brackets extend out from my transom 13" I plan on my platform extending out 18". Hopefully I will be ok with a 5" cantilever. It seems to me I could make mine much stronger if I could glue the 2 pieces together and not just screw them but I haven't heard of a glue that will work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.