Hydraulic Steering >

Hydraulic Steering

Notices

Hydraulic Steering

Old 04-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts
Default Hydraulic Steering

I am currently running a cable helm with the add on IMCO single ram hydraulic assist. I have a couple inches of slop in my steering that I really don't care for. Transom assy is brand new, so I know it isn't coming from there. I want to go to full hydraulic steering and I see that Hardin Marine offers an inside kit for around $1200. I am just wondering if there is a better option or if anyone on here has a kit that they want to move. Thanks, Joe
Old 04-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of doing the exact thing you are contemplating. I have IMCO Single Ram Add-on Hydraulic. I also had a couple inches of slop in my steering wheel. I bought the Hardin Marine Inside Kit and have it mostly installed. I am pretty happy with it so far.

It comes with brass hydraulic fittings which seem to be mismatched to the hose that is supplied. I did not use the brass fittings. I re-used some of my IMCO fittings and they seem to fit the hose very good. I have not pressure tested the system yet.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I purchased a Mayfair inside hydraulic kit from Eddie Young. I already had the external hydraulic. It was night & day difference in control.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

if you can find a helm for a single ram it is much cheaper to piece the kit together. I have a full imco setup on my boat from the helm back that I pieced together for 1200 total for everything. its mostly hydraulic hose and fittings besides the helm itself. I think I found the helm in like new condition for around 150 back when I did this.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Registered

The slop is from two places, where the cable pins to the tiller arm (small play) and how the Brazil valve uses the cable sheath to actuate the valve itself (fair amount of play). The only way to remove the play is full to helm.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

That is what I plan to do, just looking for recommendations on the right kit.

On mine, the center part of the actuator (where the cable screws on) will move in and out of what I am going to call the main housing aprox 3/8". I think this is where my play is coming from

Last edited by snapmorgan; 04-30-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
That is what I plan to do, just looking for recommendations on the right kit.

On mine, the center part of the actuator (where the cable screws on) will move in and out of what I am going to call the main housing aprox 3/8". I think this is where my play is coming from
Yes, that is how the valve is actuated. Find a helm somewhere and have a local shop make up the hoses, you'll be money ahead.