Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-28-2015, 10:10 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by nunnink23
Update for tonight - I ran out of time to try it, and tomorrow I have a work party to attend, so I will have to wait until Saturday to try it.

I have faith now, after reading the instructions on the conversion, I missed something, and so did the dealer making the conversion..
The alternator belt ?
Old 05-29-2015, 05:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol! Since my boat is in the water everyone on my dock wants to help... I appreciate that, but I can't tell you how many times people say stuff like that haha
Old 05-29-2015, 06:01 AM
Registered

Btw TG - 10 degrees BTC is better for these engines? I remember you saying that.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:36 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Matt can you let me know what the persons missed when they installed the MEFI IV conversion before you bought the boat. I think I know what you are exactly talking about.. But the problem I have is how in the world could this motor run correctly last year with the same improperly MEFI IV conversion install.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:53 AM
Registered

They missed moving the oil pressure sender pin. I forgot the pin number but I will post it later. I missed connecting the Y harness

The Y harness is probably the real problem all along.

BTW - I just remembered one thing from last year. Before I put it away I was seeing oil pressures on my gauge of 70-75 at a fast cruise, and WOT. I replaced the oil pump with a Melling standard volume pump, but have not tested it yet.

If my pressure is still that high at cruise I will put a mechanical gauge on it, but thats too high right?
Old 05-29-2015, 11:40 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

That is exactly 100 % what I was talking about the sender pin and I was thinking that it could have extremely wrong readings causing the engine to go into LIMP mode as to how could the engine run correctly before. Was just thinking out loud that's it.

I am 98 % sure once you get all the conversion harnesses setup properly it will solve your problems. Again that fuel pump harness adaption is very important. Like I said it needs to reconfigure so the MEFI IV pin outs are then correctly connected. The 2 % is hopefully your ECM is 100 %. Just saying not a scare and not to rule anything out at this point..
Old 05-29-2015, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
That is exactly 100 % what I was talking about the sender pin and I was thinking that it could have extremely wrong readings causing the engine to go into LIMP mode as to how could the engine run correctly before. Was just thinking out loud that's it.

I am 98 % sure once you get all the conversion harnesses setup properly it will solve your problems. Again that fuel pump harness adaption is very important. Like I said it needs to reconfigure so the MEFI IV pin outs are then correctly connected. The 2 % is hopefully your ECM is 100 %. Just saying not a scare and not to rule anything out at this point..
One reason why it ran last year without the pin swap is possibly because the wire was disconnected on the oil pressure sending unit. I noticed that when I was taking the engine apart after hauling it for the season. So now that I have it plugged in, with a new sensor, it could have an adverse effect on the ecm.

Good news though! It runs! The RTV wasn't cured last night so I had to wait to start it.

I wasn't there to start it, but I couldn't wait any longer and had a friend go crank it over. He called me and said it started up in two seconds, he warmed it up for a minute and gently revved it. Other than some blue smoke (idk wtf that's about) he said its running good.

I can't get down there till later on tonight to try it myself. But I'm going to put the original injectors back in, check the oil, and then warm it up fully and go for a ride. I will report back.

This will still be the first test drive above idle since I had the engine fully apart. I am a little nervous hearing there was some blue smoke, since I did do valve stem seals. Maybe I messed one up. We will see tonight if I get there before dark.

I would have been spinning my wheels for a long time if it wasn't for that document BUP. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:40 PM
SB
Registered

And (other) people on these boards, when asking about an issue, wonder why we ask so many damn questions when trying to help diagnose something.

Worst part is - many get pissed and feel insulted for some damn reason.

This is why we stuck with you nunnick. Even though you bounced around like a superball dropped off the empire state building, you wanted to learn as much as possible, didn't bother you to ask any sort of question, and you never gave up.

That said, you owe me $3000 in consulting fees, and atleast $10,000 to BUP. Hah !

LOL.

On a serious note, after you take it out on the water and when you deem this project done, I do need those other injectors back (please mark which is which) that I sent for you to try.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
And (other) people on these boards, when asking about an issue, wonder why we ask so many damn questions when trying to help diagnose something.

Worst part is - many get pissed and feel insulted for some damn reason.

This is why we stuck with you nunnick. Even though you bounced around like a superball dropped off the empire state building, you wanted to learn as much as possible, didn't bother you to ask any sort of question, and you never gave up.

That said, you owe me $3000 in consulting fees, and atleast $10,000 to BUP. Hah !

LOL.

On a serious note, after you take it out on the water and when you deem this project done, I do need those other injectors back (please mark which is which) that I sent for you to try.
Lmfao "a superball dropped off the Empire State building". I thank you all. I feel stupid for missing this. If I took pictures when I took it apart this wouldn't have happened. Unless the now working oil pressure sender had something to do with it.

And yes I have them all marked. I will send them out tomorrow with whatever money I owe you. I will pm you about that.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:11 PM
SB
Registered

It's not over until deemed over. Give me a PM next week when you know it's all set.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.