Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Are outboards really that much cheaper to run? >

Are outboards really that much cheaper to run?

Notices

Are outboards really that much cheaper to run?

Old 05-14-2015, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by scarabman
Without a doubt. I have a close friend with twin 90s vintage 225 Mercs with umpteen hours on them, and over a 10 yr period my maintenance costs, on my near bulletproof Innovation 600s, versus his are probably 10 to 1, no joke.
But assuming you have twins he would need 5 (or 6 with the added drag) 225's hanging off the back.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
What the question should be is HP for HP are they cheaper. Not is a 225-250 HP outboard cheaper to run then a 500-600 HP I/O.
It's not as easy as HP for HP. It's really HP to WT ratio. For instance, my F26 with twin 300x's requires about 800 HP in an I/B setup to run the same speeds. That means a supercharged motor running through an Bravo style drive in most cases. I can tell you from experience, running 800 HP through any Bravo style drive is a recipe for disaster... not to mention the expense of freshening a supercharged motor every couple of years. If you keep good gas, good water pressure, and good oil in an O/B, they will run 100's of hours with no problem.

At least double the gas mileage with O/B's and much less pucker factor when driving than when I was running big blocks and IMCO SC's.

Last edited by chewymalone; 05-14-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave M
^^^ What he said.

Working on your motor standing up..............PRICELESS!
Amen Brother!

that said I don't think I save anything in fuel costs. 300x is probably the thirstiest SOB they ever made, and her champagne taste for premium fuel and oil doesn't help. I bet could probably run a single BBC for nearly the same cost maybe even twin SBC's. that said I can also trash on a 2 stroke for days and not feel any remorse, as they love their RPM's.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by chewymalone
It's not as easy as HP for HP. It's really HP to WT ratio. For instance, my F26 with twin 300x's requires about 800 HP in an I/B setup to run the same speeds. That means a supercharged motor running through an Bravo style drive in most cases. I can tell you from experience, running 800 HP through any Bravo style drive is a recipe for disaster... not to mention the expense of freshening a supercharged motor every couple of years. If you keep good gas, good water pressure, and good oil in an O/B, they will run 100's of hours with no problem.

At least double the gas mileage with O/B's and much less pucker factor when driving than when I was running big blocks and IMCO SC's.
Yea I forgot about the weight penalty. Seems more go fast would be moving that way. I suppose we will have to see when AT's new 29 OB gets done.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
till they blow up...heard and seen to many issues with them for me...and when they do no getting around the high factory parts cost..
That is one thing that bothers me. There is no getting an automotive equivalent.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Not many people modify outboards. Spend more time playing with props, steering, height, balance etc rather than trying to gain extra HP. It means the outboard is stock standard as opposed to 'automotive style' engines where people are using different heads, cams, stronger internals, bolting on blowers etc, etc, etc.

I'm a big fan of a factory stock engine with no mods. OK, I'll never own the fastest boat around but if I'm happy to pay the manufacturer to plug his computer on it when service is due, I really do expect a long trouble free life.

I think when modifying engines, there's a trade off to the power gained and that's reliability and maintenance costs.

Is a standard blue motor more expensive to run and maintain Vs a standard black motor? I would think "yes". Is a modified blue motor more expensive again? I'm thinking "yes" again.

My 2 cents

RR
Old 05-15-2015, 04:55 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
But assuming you have twins he would need 5 (or 6 with the added drag) 225's hanging off the back.
That is true. He is shy right about 30 mph.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I hate outboards. I have had boats with both. Cussed both but cussed the I/os less. Everything mechanical can and will break. My preference. To each his own. As far as fuel efficiency the older carbed and first gen fi outboards weren't all that great. Right around 1 mpg cruise. Newer direct injection is almost double that on average.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:32 AM
Registered

I know I'm not the norm on this, but I went with an I/O in my pontoon for a few reason. The biggest one was cost, I could buy a complete 140hp for less than a grand. Its quite and easy to work on.

Now that I have had my fun with the 140hp and I want to go bigger. I'm doing a LS with a Bravo drive. Should be right around 330hp and will have about 5k into the entire package. No way I could touch a quiet running 300hp Merc for 5k.

As far a fuel consumption goes I really dont pay attention to that, when its empty I fill it. I call it the fun meter when its empty it means I was having fun.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Registered

What the parts cost for a rebuild on a lower for a 300?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.