TRS drive install >

TRS drive install

Notices

TRS drive install

Old 05-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I have 1 drive that fights me all the time. It appears that at one time the tailstock bearing seized and spun on the input shaft. It is a few thousandths smaller in that area. I take 1 or 2 wraps of electrical tape and put it on the input shaft so as the electrical tape is centering the shaft right before it engages. You might have to trial and error where the tape need to be. I believe when mine stops dead I can see the location on the shaft where it is in the bearing.
Man I tried building up electric tape where the taper was but no luck. I am brutally stubborn an will get it
Old 05-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Registered

MASOMAN, thanks for the pm, your inbox was full. I can try that as well.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Bath, maine. 502s I met you at the sandbar on sebago 2 years ago
I remember. I thought the boat was up here near Sebago. I am up for the weekend and was going to offer you a hand!

My starboard drive used to give me trouble. I used to put a chain on the transmission and put just a little tension on it. This would help significantly. Keeping working it and be gentle I found trying to force it just makes it want to bind even more. The tape trick also helps!

Thanks
Jim
Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Man I tried building up electric tape where the taper was but no luck. I am brutally stubborn an will get it
I know what you mean. It took me 4 hrs once and then out of nowhere it slipped in like it was buttered.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried having someone move the prop back and forth as you are putting it on?
Old 05-23-2015, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I feel your pain, been there many times. Sometimes they fall right in and other times they fight. I have wrapped the u-joint yoke with masking tape to keep the yoke straight. That does work and never seen issues with the tape remnants, (just flings off and stays in the bellow) Konrad used to make a tapered cone adapter that slid over the TRS shaft. This worked really well as it guided the yoke past the tail shaft bearing and into the spline.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Registered

Yes we were wiggling/turning the prop as we went
Old 05-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
I remember. I thought the boat was up here near Sebago. I am up for the weekend and was going to offer you a hand!

My starboard drive used to give me trouble. I used to put a chain on the transmission and put just a little tension on it. This would help significantly. Keeping working it and be gentle I found trying to force it just makes it want to bind even more. The tape trick also helps!

Thanks
Jim
Ok thanks for the input and offer. Have fun this weekend.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
I feel your pain, been there many times. Sometimes they fall right in and other times they fight. I have wrapped the u-joint yoke with masking tape to keep the yoke straight. That does work and never seen issues with the tape remnants, (just flings off and stays in the bellow) Konrad used to make a tapered cone adapter that slid over the TRS shaft. This worked really well as it guided the yoke past the tail shaft bearing and into the spline.

Well it's good to know I'm not alone haha. I sent you a pm on a related note
Old 05-23-2015, 01:22 PM
Registered

Tried everything. In the end masking tape worked and it went very easy. Now I'll just be thinking about the masked up u joints spinning at 5k haha

Thanks for the help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.