Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Has Anyone done high compression e85 motors on a big boat? >

Has Anyone done high compression e85 motors on a big boat?

Notices

Has Anyone done high compression e85 motors on a big boat?

Old 01-27-2017, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as the mix is E60 or above you gained that alcohol advantage. I typically end up with E65-E70 and by average I am using 15% more fuel. That's not a huge difference as told by some. This average includes leaner cruise but proper enrichment in PE. The HP gain was huge and seems people are running this fuel to satisfy up to 116 octane needs. Forced induction would be the best benefit... but any high compression setup for race fuel this seems like a no brainer.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliminated572
As long as the mix is E60 or above you gained that alcohol advantage. I typically end up with E65-E70 and by average I am using 15% more fuel. That's not a huge difference as told by some. This average includes leaner cruise but proper enrichment in PE. The HP gain was huge and seems people are running this fuel to satisfy up to 116 octane needs. Forced induction would be the best benefit... but any high compression setup for race fuel this seems like a no brainer.
So did you optimize the motor for e85 with more compression and cam? I built a pontiac 462 with efi, 11.4-1 with cncd heads, made 580 ish on dyno with small solid roller, it was happy with 92/93 octane, tried 104 octane unleaded, exact same hp, played with timing, gained nothing. Did a e-85 tune, gained 6 or 8 hp and about double that in torque slightly below tq peak, egts dropped 100 to 150 degrees, tried more timing, lost hp BUT its obvious it didnt need extra octane, 2 sizes bigger cam and another point of compression would have probably been a different story
Old 01-27-2017, 04:16 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

4 seasons now on E85, with boost no problems at all. Now you could add one of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeitronix-EC...hUSTSJ&vxp=mtr and if you're running an XFI 2.0 just click the Flex fuel button and the ECM will automatically adjust for content.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

So, E85 vs 93 octane, from what I have read here the fuel consumption is from 15% to 30% higher with E85. I have a tough time believing 30%, so what is the actual increase? This could be the deciding factor for me, my boat only holds 150 gallons, with 980hp a side it uses that fairly quickly poker running. My engines are old school dominator carbs with BS roots blowers, with jetting changes and pulleys I could stand to make considerably more HP for dirt cheap.

About every Meijers in MI has E85 so I am not worried about availability. Also, I never fill up on the water.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
So, E85 vs 93 octane, from what I have read here the fuel consumption is from 15% to 30% higher with E85. I have a tough time believing 30%, so what is the actual increase? This could be the deciding factor for me, my boat only holds 150 gallons, with 980hp a side it uses that fairly quickly poker running. My engines are old school dominator carbs with BS roots blowers, with jetting changes and pulleys I could stand to make considerably more HP for dirt cheap.

About every Meijers in MI has E85 so I am not worried about availability. Also, I never fill up on the water.
What's up J... here is a simple E content spread sheet displaying stoich values. This is factual comparison...
Now here's where things get interesting... I highly doubt you cruise at gasoline stoich... a large amount of combustion heat there... but with E you can (and even high in some cases) due to the cooling properties. So let's use my average E67 for example. Stoich is 11:1. Likely in your setup you are at most 13:1 cruise on gasoline. 11/13= 84.6. That's a 15.4% efficiency reduction in cruise mode. Remember when in power enrichment -hammering down- your lamda target will be about the same as gasoline so refer to chart (about a 28% reduction) And also note, by the time you increase boost and timing, those 980HP mills can run even safer turned up to 1100hp+ more than likely. (Remember the tune would be no different than a race has tune ) If I were you, I would research MARK SULLENS... he is the corn pro with carbs. Very smart fella

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564187[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Has Anyone done high compression e85 motors on a big boat?-img_8148.jpg  

Last edited by Eliminated572; 01-28-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
So did you optimize the motor for e85 with more compression and cam? I built a pontiac 462 with efi, 11.4-1 with cncd heads, made 580 ish on dyno with small solid roller, it was happy with 92/93 octane, tried 104 octane unleaded, exact same hp, played with timing, gained nothing. Did a e-85 tune, gained 6 or 8 hp and about double that in torque slightly below tq peak, egts dropped 100 to 150 degrees, tried more timing, lost hp BUT its obvious it didnt need extra octane, 2 sizes bigger cam and another point of compression would have probably been a different story
Smitty, the benefits will be more present when optimized. That is easy to do via boost... simply repulley and add more timing. On NA, higher compression/timing/cam... remember this stuff is not required but now you actually CAN do it.
In fact, a bit more timing is required usually to make the same back to back number (slower burning fuel needs more time to burn). My setup is a terribly overpullied blower and a bunch of timing. So much timing in fact, I could NOT get it to show any KR. Went from 13 degrees on 93 octane up to 26 degrees on E. The power actually started falling off, but still no knock (exceeded MBT for this combo) And this is at a E60 mix when we tested. On my little 700hp Small block LS, I gained gobs of power from E10 to E60 back to back (about 80HP) ... But not really anything above E60.

Last edited by Eliminated572; 01-28-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Eliminated572
What's up J... here is a simple E content spread sheet displaying stoich values. This is factual comparison...
Now here's where things get interesting... I highly doubt you cruise at gasoline stoich... a large amount of combustion heat there... but with E you can (and even high in some cases) due to the cooling properties. So let's use my average E67 for example. Stoich is 11:1. Likely in your setup you are at most 13:1 cruise on gasoline. 11/13= 84.6. That's a 15.4% efficiency reduction in cruise mode. Remember when in power enrichment -hammering down- your lamda target will be about the same as gasoline so refer to chart (about a 28% reduction) And also note, by the time you increase boost and timing, those 980HP mills can run even safer turned up to 1100hp+ more than likely. (Remember the tune would be no different than a race has tune ) If I were you, I would research MARK SULLENS... he is the corn pro with carbs. Very smart fella

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564187[/ATTACH]
Another question, so my blowers are stripped 871s running about 1:1 (I think), obviously I would need to overdrive them for the E85. Spinning the blower faster typically increases heat, would the E85 help bring the temps back in check? FYI they are on super chillers also. Just wondering if the blower efficiency would fall off and negate some of the gains.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
Another question, so my blowers are stripped 871s running about 1:1 (I think), obviously I would need to overdrive them for the E85. Spinning the blower faster typically increases heat, would the E85 help bring the temps back in check? FYI they are on super chillers also. Just wondering if the blower efficiency would fall off and negate some of the gains.
Now remember, you don't NEED to overdrive... but now you CAN. And of course, the E will dramatically reduce the air charge temps. It has even been widely observed to induce a sweating intake, similar to methanol, due to the latent cooling properties upon fuel atomization. Overall, this is where the E85 shines. Like I mentioned above, I am running this in a terribly overdriven setup that 93 octane could no way support. Could I make more power with a larger blower? Defintely! Especially on E... but having the E optimized this combo as far as it could go.... which was well beyond the limits allowed by 93 gasoline.

Last edited by Eliminated572; 01-28-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 AM
Registered

On a side note, I think Sullens did my brothers E85 jet boat.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On e85 in my supra I was able to make about the same power and run the same timing as c16-q16. It was over 1000 rwhp. The stuff is impressive for sure!! I did always find that I needed to change my oil more often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.