Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to get a little heat with crossovers...? >

How to get a little heat with crossovers...?

Notices

How to get a little heat with crossovers...?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:22 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

That's fine.I have ran into that too. Southern builder sends motor up here. Engine has cooling issues. They get perplexed. In the middle of summer warmer water they work fine.

Not everyone can possibly know everything.

When you are a manufacturer, you have to test in all conditions.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
as a side note .. when paul pfaff put my pakages together .. fully rigged ready to drop . i talked about water temp .. and i was told as long as youre running a oil stat system witch brings oil temps to operating range there is no need ? was he correct . they are a big builder of high end motors in southern cal ... told him i boat in cooler waters than them
If clearances are "loose" all around as MOST marine engines are it will not be issue..
Old 05-31-2015, 08:11 PM
SB
Registered

True...but getting oil temp up is killer tough incold water. Even with t-stats. 5 million hrs after cruising for a bit,you get good oil temp. Then you come off plane to take a break. Your oil temps plummet back to cold.Now you want to take off again,but noooooooooo...you gotta wait for another 5million hrs.

If you don't let the temps get up your oil gets 'soggy'.

Again, this is for some of us that boat, at times. in very cold water. But, some people around here only boat end of June thru August, so,they are all set.

=================================================

I here timeandtime again around here,even you today or yesterday, I don't care if I lose 10-15hp or not make an extra 10-15hp.

Well, the recirc pump doesn'ttake that much power to spin under 6k, so why do many people spend $$$ on cross overs that don't need them.

It's like the guy who buys a $300 cast steel crank instead of a $700 forged crank, but has $300 valve covers and sends them out to a custom painter.

FF - not singling you out cause you already had these.

Just making a point with what I see in this performanceboat worldand trying to makesomesense. LOL.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:12 PM
SB
Registered

My space bar is not workingto well. LOL.

Last edited by SB; 05-31-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know some people who got rid of their circ pump and went with a crossover because it "cleans up" the front of the engine and looks nicer. You have to have that bling under the hatch, ya know!
Old 05-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my engines build oil temp fairly fast .. 5 minutes maybe .. i also run teague offshore coolers ,, bounce up to 3 k, let em warm up, loosen up, n then its go time .. i can wait 5 minutes just listning to that cam thump pretty noises to my ears .. besides people on shore love to hear them too .. lol nothing like big cammed idling big blocks ....
Old 06-16-2015, 05:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Put stats 140 stats in, ran on the hose and they will not open, up to 180 and still not open..the bypass hose is dumping cold water on stat keeping it from opening... my stainless marine housings do not have that diverter in there to stop that....

I now have loose clearances in lifter bores and guides, might just run the way its been for years.....

I just got engines in and running good Sunday, no time to hunt down and install circ pumps....I did order water restrictors may play with that now that I wave water pressure gauges installed...
Old 06-16-2015, 05:44 AM
SB
Registered

You do atleast have some holes dilled in the oute edge of the tstat's right ? And a way to gauge water psi ?
Old 06-16-2015, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Put stats 140 stats in, ran on the hose and they will not open, up to 180 and still not open..the bypass hose is dumping cold water on stat keeping it from opening... my stainless marine housings do not have that diverter in there to stop that....

I now have loose clearances in lifter bores and guides, might just run the way its been for years.....

I just got engines in and running good Sunday, no time to hunt down and install circ pumps....I did order water restrictors may play with that now that I wave water pressure gauges installed...
You must have one heck of a water main to be able to test that on the hose. I never could. Heck I tried using a 30 gallon tub and letting the hose run in the tub and couldn't run it more than a minute or so.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SB
You do atleast have some holes dilled in the oute edge of the tstat's right ? And a way to gauge water psi ?
I drilled 2 1/8" holes in stats but I removed them since they refused to open..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.